The African Reinsurance Corporation (African Re), a pan-African International Financial Institution with Headquarters in Lagos, announces a vacancy for the position of senior Underwriter in the Lagos Regional Office. Vacancy announcement for the position of Senior Underwriter in the Lagos Regional Office.
This position is for a Treaty & Facultative Underwriter who will manage a portfolio of accounts (treaties and facultative) of cedants in West Africa (Anglophone Countries).
Grade and Duties
As such the duties of the Underwriter shall comprise amongst others:
Negotiation and renewal of contracts;
Portfolio management and business relations;
Monitoring premium and claims payments;
Training (internal and external).
The successful candidate shall be based in Lagos (Nigeria) with the possibility of redeployment to a Production Centre within the Africa Re Group.
Main Competencies required for this position
- Very strong technical knowledge (underwriting and claims handling);
- Good knowledge of insurance classes, reinsurance and retrocession;
- Very Good reporting skills;
- Good supervisory skills;
- Ability to quickly build very good and sustainable relationship with cedants;
- Very good skills in business software: Office package and RMS.
Competencies - Behavioral
- Capacity for analyzing and reasoning;
- Capacity for planning;
- Ability to train cedants and subordinates;
- Capacity to take initiatives and decisions;
- Ability to foster cordial relationship with cedants and colleagues;
- Should be of high Integrity and have good sense of responsibility;
- Should be fluent in English (spoken and written). A good knowledge of a second language (French) shall be an added advantage.
Qualifications & Professional Experience
This position is a PS 3 grade and applicants shall be holders of:
First University degree in relevant field plus Masters plus 7 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience ;
First University degree in relevant field plus full professional qualification plus 10 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience;
First University degree in relevant field plus 11 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience;
A post graduate degree in insurance would be an added advantage, plus relevant work experience in a Reinsurance company or in the department of reinsurance of an insurance company.
Actuaries, Engineers and FCII with more than 10 years’ experience would have a strong advantage
Benefits & Salary
The successful candidate shall have the following benefits:
Competitive basic salary; (USD70,895 - USD84,804)
Exemption from taxes and duties (diplomatic status of an international civil servant);
75% medical cover for staff and family;
Education allowance for each child up to 26 years (maximum 4 children);
Duty Post Differential that may increase or decrease depending on the economic situation (presently 20% of basic salary in Lagos, paid in local currency);
Home leave to country of origin every two years paid by the employer;
Joint contribution to the Provident Fund (7% of the basic salary paid by staff and 14% by the employer).
Interested candidates are requested to visit the link to apply: http://www.africa-re.com/careersandtenders/page/34/employment-forms for completion of the employment online. Closing date for applications is 27 September 2013.