Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the conflict-affected population.
- As a result of the wide-scale needs, Mercy Corps is scaling-up food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, livelihoods, and water sanitation hygiene (WASH) activities in Dikwa, Ngala, and Jere Local Government Areas in Borno State to address emergency needs.
General Position Summary
- Mercy Corps is looking for a Senior Operations Officer responsible for leading the operations function in Maiduguri Office. Ensures to maintain the operation field support function in a timely manner.
- The senior operations officer oversees all arrangements and coordination for program support logistical duties.
Essential Job Functions
Project Goods/Commodities Logistics:
- Oversees all activities associated with the delivery and receipt of goods/commodities from internal or external vendors to planned destinations in Miaduguri office in coordination with MC staff
- Plan goods delivery to MC Maiduguri office or Project sites in accordance to the needs, while minimizing cost and taking into account any other delay effects
- Maintain strict adherence to relevant donor policies and procedures
- Negotiating contracts with any service providers and suppliers
- Complete required and customary documentation for any goods such as waybills, bills of lading, customs declarations etc
- Troubleshoot any problems with the goods/commodities pipeline or delivery schedules from Abuja to Maiduguri.
- Maintain contact with partners (NGO partners and others) to ensure smooth coordination of operations activities
- All other activities to ensure the smooth and consistent delivery of goods and supplies to offices or distributions points.
- Procurement - Participates in all procurement activities to ensure purchasing is done according to Mercy Corps procurement policy and completed in a timely manner, including, but not limited to:
- Obtains quotations and pro forma invoices from suppliers and vendors as necessary;
- Prepares Quotation Analysis and submits to the relevant supervisors.
- Completes Goods Received Notes for items received from Abuja office.
- Maintains current and orderly files of all procurement documents processed through the Abuja office.
- Maintain the PR linked database in computer and ensures the hardcopy files match the database softcopy.
- All operations files must be clearly maintained. These files must always be updated, organized, clearly marked, and complete.
- Pipeline prospectus reports for all good/commodities request by MC in for Maiduguri office or program, produced and filed by field office or program.
- Warehouse reports (including receipts, dispatches, internal waybills, and information regarding laborers and equipment), produced and filed by month
- Manuals, documentation, receipts, shipping documents, and other critical information such as passwords or programming is to be safely kept
- Copies of goods receiving notes for all procured items purchased in Nigeria Abuja And transferred to MC Maiduguri field office
Field Asset Management:
- Maintain the asset records for the Maiduguri office and update a centralized Assets inventory of all MC Nigeria offices
- Ensure all the items bought that falls under Asset category according to MC Policies are properly registered on the Asset Register with all the required information
- Maintain a softcopy of the Asset Register for Maiduguri
- Liaise with the field offices on the Assets Management, monitor if the register is properly maintained and it matches with the centralized softcopy.
- Every six months review and physically crosscheck the Asset Register with the assets to ensure the asset tags are available on the assets and update the assets condition - depreciation if applicable.
- Overall responsibility for the MC Nigeria Operations
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps.
- Perform other tasks as requested and needed by the Mercy Corps Operations in Maiduguri
- Conduct him/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to mercy corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by Mercy Corps Country Program.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Logistics Officers
- Procurement officer
- Administrative officer
- Warehouse Officer
- Reports Directly To: Head of Office
- Works Directly With: All staff
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in Accounting, Economics, Logistics and Procurement Management, Business Management, or related field ( with international NGOs is an asset)
- Two to three years experience in logistics and procurement with strong organizational skills, ability to maintain the procurement and logistics filing system, ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel, adaptability to unanticipated circumstances,
- Microsoft Office computer skills and experience with using email.
- Proven ability to solve problems independently without supervision.
- Ability to communicate in English, Kanuri and Hausa.
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps' policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Method of Application
Applicants should their submit CV's and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
Drop off application in a sealed envelope with the position boldly written to Mercy Corps Nigeria located at:
Plot 119, NUJ Street,
New GRA Bama Road,
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.