The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2004 by Nigeria’s former Vice President, His Excellency Atiku Abubakar. Conceived as Africa’s first Development University, its mission is to promote service learning and to educate leaders who will be prepared to tackle the development issues of Nigeria and Africa. The university offers an American-style education modeled after the curriculum of American universities, using the latest technology and e-learning resources..
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Summary of Position
- The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching, research and community service as may be requested by the Dean. The candidate will contribute to preparing students to be applied and practical, critical thinkers and problem solvers through innovative teaching and research.
- S/he will work closely with the Chair of Communications & Multimedia Design Program and the Dean of the school of Arts & Science to deliver effective teaching and learning in line with the program philosophy and the development philosophy of the American University of Nigeria.
- In addition to the teaching responsibilities, the successful candidate is also expected to mentor students and to contribute to the department’s administration and scholarly work by carrying out and disseminating high quality research.
- The post holder will be required to instruct courses, both introductory and advanced levels, including advanced courses related to his or her area of expertise. The successful candidate will have a PhD in Communication/Media Studies or a related discipline and an established, or potential to establish, record of excellence in teaching, research, and service.
- Candidates should possess a strong record of academic publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals, commensurate with career stage. International experience is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills are required. The right candidate must have a strong command of English language.
- A PhD in Communication/Media Studies or a related discipline
- Experience in American style of higher education
- Experience of teaching New Media/Communication Studies courses with practicum components at a reputable higher education institution
- Expertise in one or both of the following broad areas:
- New Media: Multimedia Design, Animation, Design Principles, Video and Special Effects, Web and graphic design, social media.
- Communication Studies: Communication Research (qualitative and quantitative approaches), Communication Theories, International and Intercultural Communications
- An outstanding teaching and research record commensurate with career stage.
- Experience in developing and delivering a problem centered approach to teaching and learning.
- Publication in relevant peer-reviewed journals.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Experience of working in Africa
- Experience of curriculum development
- Record of applying for and obtaining research grants
- Experience of organizing conferences and workshops
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit the following documents below with Names and contact information of three referees, to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Application letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Links to three most important research publications and/or designs
- The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.