Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position of Director/Chief Executive, Nigeria French Language Village, Topo-Badagry, Lagos Nigeria.
The Nigeria French Language Village was established in 1991 as an Inter-University Centre under the ambit of the National Universities Commission (NUC) with the statutory mandate of:
- Providing Language Immersion Programme (LIP) as a domestic alternative tothe erstwhile foreign-based (year-round) component of the B.A./B.Ed French programmes in Nigerian Universities.
- Providing similar acculturation for students of French in Nigerian Colleges of Education.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DIRECTOR
- Broadly, the Director, as the Chief Executive, shall be the Chief Administrative and Academic Officer of the Language Village, the Chairman of the Academic Board, and an ex-officio member of the Governing Council. He/She is the image figure for the Language Village. Specifically, the Director performs the following major functions:
- Maintaining efficiency and good order of the Language structure are responsible to him/her. His/Her success in managing the resources available to him depends not only on his/her profession as an academic, but also on his/ her ability to lead, motivate and inspire administrative associates, academic and non-academic staff as well as students, to work toward the central purpose of the Village, to advance learning and enhance talent.
- The Director shall exercise general supervision over the Language Village and shall have a general responsibility to the Council for maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the Language Village, and it shall be his/ her duty to see that the provisions of the Act establishing the Language Village and the Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations are observed;
- He/She shall. by virtue of his office, be a member of the Council, where he/she is the main official source of information on the state of affairs of the Language Village. He/She will bring to the Council all development programmes relating to the future of the Language Village after they have been discussed at the various Committees and the Academic Board.
- He/She shall be the Chairman of the Academic Board of the Language Village with responsibility for formulating and continuously evaluating the academic programmes and research policy of the Village.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- The candidate for this position is expected to be an internationally distinguished French Linguist with the following qualifications and attributes:
- Possession of a Ph.D Degree in French Language from a reputable University as well as having been a full Professor of French in a reputable Universityfor at least eight (8) years.
- Evidence of distinguished French Language research accomplishments characterized by consistent and sustained publications of high level research articles in reputable international journals and/or research books/monographs by reputable international publishers - including at least two such articles or one book in the last five years.
- Ability and resolve to provide the type of leadership that will enable the Language Village achieve its mandate outlined in 1. above.
- Extensive cognate administrative experience;
- Ability to generate funds for the Language Village beyond the basic Government funding;
- Having a clear vision for further developmentof the Language Village into a world class Centre of Excellence in French Language as well as ability to provide quality leadership and leadership by examples; and
- Belief in accountability, justice and fairness.
TENURE OF APPOINMENT
The tenure of appointment for this Office is as enshrined in the enabling Act of the Language Village, i.e a single term of five (5) years, and no more.
SALARY & FRINGE BENEFITS
The salary and fringe benefits for this position is the same with that of a Vice-Chancellor of a Federal University in Nigeria.
Method of Application
All interested candidates should send fifteen (15) copies each of:
- Letter of Application containing details of qualifications and experience for the position;
- Updated Curriculum Vitae with list of three (3) Referees;
- Relevant Credentials/Certificates available or claims of qualifications made under item '3' above to:
The Executive Secretary,
National Universities Commission,
Aja Nwachukwu House,
No 26, Aguiyi Ironsi Street,
PMB 237, Garki G.P.O
All applications must be received within six (6) weeks from the date of this publication. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.