If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), one of the world's leading research based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. GSK employs over 97,000 employees in over 100 countries worldwide.
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Nigeria Plc is one of Africa's largest consumer healthcare companies, producing leading brands such as Lucozade, Ribena and Panadol.
Requisition ID: WD79958
Position: Full time
- ‘As GM and leader of the GSK Pharma business, I inspire, align and provide direction to the GSK team, creating a culture where people can develop and be their best and deliver value to our patients, physicians and shareholders. I am accountable for ensuring that appropriate patients have access to GSK medicines in my country.
- Together with my team, I maintain a strong and responsible link with the community where we operate, through our work with policy makers, professionals, associations and NGOs.
- To successfully implement GSK strategy in my country, I integrate insights that I gain from having a 360 degree view by looking down, out and forward; and I leverage the global GSK capabilities and talent.
- Representing GSK in my country, I have the privilege of being the custodian of GSK’s reputation. I hold myself and my team accountable for the GSK values, policies and ethical standards, as well as local laws, to ensure we operate with the highest level of integrity.’
Key Accountabilities of the GM
Managing the Business:
- Performance Management, including Resource Management.
- Flawless execution and implementation of all commercial strategies including pricing, market access, launching new assets, operational planning, prioritisation, portfolio and brand management.
- Evolving the business model.
Compliance & Ensuring a Licence to Operate:
- Identifying and managing risks, allocating resources and priorities.
- Escalating issues and risks, and informing centrally when needed, creating a ’speak up’ culture.
- Setting up a governance structure so the GM has appropriate level of oversight.
- Compliance and Implementing the GSK Framework.
- Chairing Risk Management & Compliance Board (RMCB).
- Crisis Management and business continuity planning.
- Pharmacovigilance, clinical trials, patient safety.
- Acting as Statutory and Legal Representative for the country.
- Communicating SOPs and ensuring GSK policies are followed, e.g. recognition, reward, disciplinary, grievance, people policies, mandatory training.
- Supply chain and QMS.
- Regulatory and labelling.
- Employee health and safety.
- Tax compliance.
Working Across Boundaries:
- Leveraging and energising the matrix, influencing and collaborating to reach win-win solutions for their country and the enterprise, and implementing global initiatives. Bringing a broader global perspective to global and regional teams.
- Working in collaboration to build strong Cx/Rx and Rx/ViiV relationships to maximise synergies and ensure that GSK has one face externally.
- Chairing the Country Executive Board, aligning the businesses and functions.
- Participating in the Medical Board.
- Being the ‘face of GSK’ externally, ’walking the talk’, PR, Media relations.
- Initiating and growing appropriate relationships with government bodies, health communities, industry associations. Shaping the external environment where appropriate.
- Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Managing and relationship with work councils, maintaining good relationships and good employee relations environment.
Leadership In addition to the Leadership Expectations:
- Being the ‘face of GSK’ internally: ‘Walking the talk.’ Role modelling and embedding the GSK Expectations and GSK Values.
- Setting the tone and the culture.
- Managing change; leading through transitions. Driving a culture of continuous improvement, building an agile learning organisation.
- Inspiring, engaging and aligning employees with the strategy.
- Attracting, identifying and developing diverse talent and organisational capability for the future, including enterprise talent.
- Knowledge management.
- Providing feedback to line managers on dotted line reports.
Key Leadership and Professional/Technical Capabilities Required
Leadership Expectations and Professional & Technical Capabilities
- Set direction & inspire Using sound judgement to set a clear and compelling vision that shows your people how their work contributes to delivering our strategy and mission.
- With emphasis on: Translating GSK Vision and Strategy. Communicating an authentic vision to create alignment, releasing energy in others, engaging and inspiring them. Risk Management Identifying, managing and mitigating risk.
- Finance P&L, resource allocation and portfolio management, forecasting, identifying opportunities and risks to the business, understanding company results and financials.
- Project Management ADP, Strategy Deployment.
- Sales Channels, customer engagement framework, segmentation and targeting, competition and incentives, sales force effectiveness, monitoring performance, global sales force compensation, significant people leadership and extended span of control.
- Legal Understanding of law as it relates to local policies: competition law, corporate governance, local insight, local policies, ABAC.
- Marketing Digital, customer insight, brand positioning, competition, franchises/commercial model, customer strategy, strategic planning.
- Government Affairs Stakeholder mapping, developing advocacy, industrial policies, representing GSK and GSK policies and help to shape the external environment.
- Communication & PR - In addition to internal communication, externally with media, work councils, industry bodies.
- Market Access / Regulatory Pricing / health economics.
- Medical Medical governance, Pharmacovigilance, clinical trials. Medical affairs planning.
- HR Knowledgeable about labour laws, often context specific.
- Working across boundaries Cultivating a network of collaborative relationships, based on mutual trust, to ensure the best outcome for GSK as a whole.
With Emphasis on:
- Internal - Leveraging and energising the matrix, influencing and collaborating.
- External - Using instinct and taking a more sensing approach to spotting trends and understanding the market and patients.
- Release energy Creating a healthy, engaged and inclusive working environment that is sustainable over time.
- With emphasis on: Releasing energy in others.
- Developing capability and talent Investing in your people and building the organisational capabilities necessary to implement our strategy, now and in the future.
- With emphasis on: Identifying, attracting, developing and retaining talent.
- Drive performance Holding yourself, your team and others accountable for delivering quality results.
- With emphasis on: Delivering great performance and execution. Creating alignment, prioritising activities, and having the ability to pull the right levers for growth.
- Live our values Acting as a role model, ensuring everything you do is in line with our values, serving patients and consumers.
- With emphasis on: Role modelling and setting a culture where the GSK Values are at the heart of every decision.
Recommended Experiences for Prospective GMs (Expected followed by desirable)
- P&L Experience of managing P&L, and exposure to financial leadership.
- Commercial Experience in a commercial role, e.g. sales or marketing. Additionally gives exposure to the customer interface.
- Above Country Have held an above country such as Franchises, matrix role or significant project role. Ideally has held a role in GSK House to help build network and profile and develop an enterprise view.
- People Leadership Experience of leading diverse and large teams, both direct reports and matrixed teams. Identified as a good leader.’
- Audit & Assurance Ideally has some experience in Audit & Assurance, or has had. a rotation through the guest auditor programme.
- Global Ethics and Compliance Ideally has some experience in Ethics and Compliance.
- Change Management Experience of initiating and/or developing a complex change initative.
- Experience outside own country / region Experience of working in a different region or country, ideally with different cultures.
- LT Experience Experience as part of an LOC leadership team to help them understand what good looks like.
- External Relations Ideally has some experience of Government Affairs (GA), health associations or industry bodies, e.g. secondment to GA, targeted PULSE assignment, project with an NGO or patient body, shadowing a GM.
- PLC Board responsibility in capacity as appointed
- Role directly supervises 6 Heads of Units (Sales, Marketing, Access, Commercial Supply Chain, Security, Internal and Audit) and dotted line relationship with 6 units (Human Resources, Finance, IT, Company Secretary/Legal, Procurement and Quality) reporting into centre.
- Indirect Reports 200+
- Managing personnel optimisation to ensure high quality and levels of productivity across the organisation
- Manages strategic alliance with government agencies (Ministries and Parastatals) to ensure GSK RX continues as a going concern
- Responsible for quality of cross functional activities within the organisation
- Leads one or more business/function wide matrix teams to launch implement key new processes/projects impacting key areas, functions or products.
- Networks and influences the decision making process at Vice President / Senior Executive levels [both to own business and GSK wide]
- Managing of a challenging, uncertain and complex external environment
- A University Degree and strong commercial experience.
- 10 years senior management experience with bias for commercial function Marketing, Sales.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to GlaxoSmithKline career website on careers.peopleclick.com to apply