If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
With 151 member states, a further 12 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
Under the general supervision of the IOM Chief of Mission for administrative matters, and the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Physician of the IOM Lagos office for technical matters, the National Migration Health Physician will be responsible for providing clinical, administrative and project management support for migration health assessments and treatment of migrants assisted by the Organization. In particular, he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist to coordinate and manage all the migration health activities in IOM Lagos. This includes but not limited to logistic preparation for medical screening, handling and safekeeping of individual medical files, collection of bio-
- data and medical history, physical examination, ensuring identity checks of the applicants and confidentiality of information throughout the screening process.
- Supervise clinical and non-clinical staff to ensure all migration health activities are performed in an effective and efficiency manner.
- Perform migration health assessment of migrants (refugees and non-refugee immigrants) according to the country- specific immigration medical technical instructions and guidelines.
- Assist to ensure proper identification and coding of biological samples, maintain strict client confidentiality, liaise with various health service providers to facilitate handling of biological samples, and coordinate the procedures and supervision of the collection of sputum samples for culture and sensitivity for Tuberculosis (TB).
- Review chest x-ray films, radiologist’s reports and laboratory reports and ensure medical forms are completed as per the technical guidelines.
- Counsel applicants with chest x-ray findings consistent with active or inactive TB and explain diagnostic procedures for TB (sputum smears and culture).
- Inform applicants about clinically significant chest x-ray findings not compatible with tuberculosis and suggest follow up.
- Counsel applicants diagnosed with tuberculosis and refer them for treatment to the institutions of the National TB
- Control Program or private practitioners. Provide applicants with a referral letter, copy of chest x-ray and copy of
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply
- to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates. sputum smear and culture results.
- Counsel and refer family contacts of applicants with infectious tuberculosis for further investigation.
- Assist to review and sign certificates for eligible applicants.
- Assist with applicant registration and data entry into the appropriate IOM Global Software, if so required.
- Assist with the quality control/quality assurance by liaising with the service providers (radiology unit, microbiology laboratory) on a regular basis, correct minor digressions from the regular procedure, inform Chief Migration Health
- Physician about current or potential problems jeopardizing integrity of the program and suggest improvements and ways to optimize procedures.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in clinical medicine from an accredited academic institution;
- At least five years of continuous clinical practice post-graduation, registered to practice in Nigeria and with a valid registration license;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-cultural team;
- Reliable, able to work under pressure, good organizational skills and drive for results.
Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in all languages advantageous;
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Men with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2017_51 Lagos. National Migration Health Physician (MHAC) All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.