Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Operations Officer provides day-to-day support to the program operations in Gombe the north – east, under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager based in Biu. As part of his/her responsibilities the Operations Officer will undertake tasks under procurement, administration, logistics and security working in close collaboration with the finance and program teams based Biu. S/he will promptly and effectively provide all required support to programs so to deliver the assistance to beneficiaries in a timely, compliant and transparent manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Read and has clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual and all procedures;
- Lead Mercy Corps daily Procurement Activities in Gombe Office to meet program and country mission objectives in a timely manner and in accordance with Mercy Corps guidelines and donor regulations;
- Possesses a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to new staff on these policies and provided refresher training as gap in staff knowledge are identified;
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests (PR) and other documentation;
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PRs with support from Operations Manager in Biu – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Conduct regular market survey at least every quarter with coordination and support from Operations Manager in Biu;
- Conduct Preferred Supplier process for Accommodation, stationary and other repetitive request in coordination with Procurement Officer and Operations Officer in Biu;
- Maintains PR Master Lists and shares with staff on weekly bases.
- Interact with vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms;
- Ensures fair competition and strictly adhere to Mercy Corps procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described by Mercy Corps
- Interacts with contractors, in coordination with the Operations Manager Biu and Program Manager;
- Ensures that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to Mercy Corps standards. Maintains and updates the procurement files
- Raise payment request for vendor’s payments and monitor the status of each payment.Assets
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual and all procedures;
- Assists the Asset Controller with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets;
- Participates in regular assets inventory and checks.
- Ensures that all the assets are maintained and in good condition. Check assets stickers regularly;
- Maintain inventories of Mercy Corps premises (non-expandable properties) conduct regular checks (quarterly);
- Advise Operations Manager Biu on any broken, damaged or destroyed equipment
- Read and have a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Fleet Management Policy Guidelines and its implementation;
- Ensure that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy;
- Ensure that all vehicles have proper on-board vehicle documentation;
- Schedule vehicle use to meet programmatic and operational needs;
- Ensure Vehicle Authorization is approved before leaving Mercy Corps Office;
- Oversee the vehicles movement plans;
- Maintain vehicles documentation, including log sheets, repairs logs and schedules
- Monitor vehicles fuel consumption
- Coordinate with HR in Biu to ensure proper tracking of drivers HR files;
- Oversee the generator and inverter operation, monitoring the servicing schedule
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Field Administration Manual and all procedures;
- Liaises with Operations Manager on renewal of Gombe office rental agreements;
- Establish and maintain appropriate filing systems for office correspondence. Receive and dispatch mail;
- Ensure that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests, cleaning, receptionist duties and general contact and liaison with outside agencies;
- Ensure that office has sufficient office supplies;
- Co-ordinate any other necessary administrative and office management details;
- Make all necessary travel and logging arrangements for Gombe visitors;
- Oversee the management of office consumable (office materials like: stationary, cleaning & hygiene,): that will include: collecting the requests on monthly bases, maintaining the stock, monitoring the use;
- Facility management ( cleaning, equipment repairs, utilities, water supply,green office considerations, facility keys management etc);
- Administrating communication, ensuring internet, printers are working, staff has enough phone credit;
- Collect HR related documentation and liaise with the country office on HR tasks;
- Monitor the generator and inverter operation, monitoring the service schedule;
- Monitor generator fuel consumption;
- Responsible for oversight of vehicle rentals including tracking of leases and payment.
Operations Management - Security
- If needed, conduct security risk assessments of core operational features and record and report findings;
- Ensure that compound guards remain an effective and credible deterrent;
- Ensure thorough comprehensive briefings, that all staff and visitors to are fully appraised of the risks, the prevailing security situation and any security procedures.
- Manage and maintain all security communications equipment;
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- The Operations Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
Accountable for following Mercy Corps Manual, guidelines, policies and procedures; the Mercy Corps Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Operations Manager - Gombe/Biu
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: All staff in Gombe, County Security & Safet Officer, Senior Operations Officer (Biu) program and finance staff in north – east, operations staff Biu, Human Resources Biu and operations staff in Abuja
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- A relevant first degree in business administration or management is desired.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in operations (logistics, procurement), preferably within an NGO or INGO; international business or related field.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Excellent oral and written English and Hausa skills;
- Knowledge of Gombe local languages is desirable but not essential;
- Strong computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities. A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgement ;
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks;
- Demonstrated attention to details;
- Ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines;
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work comfortably with ethnically diversified team members;
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel;
- Excellent spoken and written English, strong computer skills are a must ;
- Proved organizational skills.
Method of Application
s should submit their CV's and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position. Also, Mercy Corps Nigeria does not work with recruiters or recruitment agencies and no fees are charged at any time during our recruitment process as we observe both international and national best practice candidate sourcing standards.