The BSC Media Action (BBC MA) is the internal charity arm of the BBC. BBC Media Action uses Media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries.
Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world. Our work aims to support the development of more inclusive, accountable and peaceful societies, helping to improve health, build resilience to Shocks and stresses, and support people's ability to cope with humanitarian emergencies. SSG Media Action works both to strengthen the media, and works through the media to reach populations and key audiences. To achieve this, the Media Action partners with civil society, local media and governments to:
• Produce creative programmes based on robust research in multimedia formats which inform and engage audiences around key development issues.
• Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure,
BBC Media Action has been operating in Nigeria since 1999, applying the organization’s expertise, - to the challenges of good governance in Nigeria, Nigeria's HIV/AIDS prevention and antistigmatisation efforts, and the problems of extremely poor maternal newborn and child health indicators. With a team of more than 70 staff in Abuja, the Nigeria office has experience working across a range of creative and innovative TV, film and radio formats, as well as training and capacity building, audience research and interpersonal communication interventions that depend audience engagement with media outputs.
BBC Media Action is looking for an interested and motivated candidate to join the Team as: Head of ICT
The position is Abuja based but may sometimes involve travelling to the focal states in Nigeria. The contract duration is expected to be between 8 and 10 months (with possibility of renewal depending on availability of funding) and with a start date of October 20 13.
Overall purpose of job
Head of ICT will be responsible for the design development, testing and management of all mobile and web-based outputs of the office, with a particular focus on outputs related to this
Upcoming scoping study. He She will also be responsible for the management of the ICT team.
The Head of ICT will be responsible for building relationships with the telecommunications
Nigeria and identifying potential platforms, approaches, and partnerships for multimedia
That meets the office's agreed objectives, timelines and budgets. The Head of ICT Will have oversight for ICT output, ensuring it meet BBC editorial standards and values; relationship management with partners, donors and other stakeholders, including the government stakeholders within the ICT environment.
- Develop and maintain contractual relationships with the telecommunications industry, Including identifying potential platforms, approaches, and partnerships for multi-media outputs that meet the office's agreed objectives, timelines and budgets and comply with BBC Editorial Policy.
- Establish, maintain and build strategic relationship with trade associations and other Organizations for the mobile industry including the GSMA, the ITU, the mHealth Alliance etc
- Recruit and lead the ICT Team which will include positions such as a Senior Mobile Producer and Content Developer, as well as consultants to help undertake mobile industry research and develop business models and business cases for work with Mobile operators.
- Participate in the design and analysis of rigorous audience research to inform the ICT Strategy.
- Manage research that develops SSC Media Action's understanding of the mobile sector in Nigeria and will help to developing the functional and technical specifications of any mobile interventions.
- Contribute to user-testing efforts to understand how existing SSC Media Action mHealth , services can be adapted to the Nigerian context.
- Contract and manage relationships with all external suppliers, including content producers and aggregators, mobile network operators, web design and development agencies, web hosting services, new media marketing and
Research agencies, technical suppliers and email marketing agencies.
- Keep abreast of technical and editorial developments in the field and within the BBC, feeding into and making best use of research; In conjunction with the senior project team, adopting new strategies and developing new outputs as technology develops.
- Represent the ICT elements of the project at conferences and to the wider BBC (when required)
- Demonstrate ongoing commitment to developing local Contribution to the development of the BBC Media Action's strategy for Nigeria in particular and for Africa more widely.
- Establish, maintain and build strategic relationships with donors including project related, business development and sitting on various task forces and advisory groups.
- Establish, maintain and build strategic relationship with the Nigerian government particularly with the Federal Ministry of Health and Federal Ministry of ICT to obtain approvals for aspects of services when necessary
- Develop corporate partnerships to ensure financial sustainability and scale up of any potential services.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
The knowledge and experience designing and managing mobile services necessary to help design Media Action's mobile and web services so they reach the largest audiences and achieve maximum impact.
Considerable experience of working in the mobile industry in developing countries in a VAS management role.
A deep understanding of working with mobile aggregators and content providers in developing countries to design and develop Value Added Services using Technologies including IVR, SMS and USSD.
Ability to manage the design and development of IVR services in developing countries in a Product Management role.
Experience of building relationships with senior management across the mobile industry and government regulators
Strong background in user-centered product design with experience of designing and implementing market research, user testing and impact assessments to inform the development and further refinement of mobile services
Deep understanding of the infrastructure, technologies and approval processes required to launch IVR services in developing countries
Deep understanding of market dynamics and competition in the mobile/Telecom industries
Proven ability to design business cases and business models for new mobile services
Experience of negotiating contracts with mobile operators and aggregators for Value Added Services
Proven ability to manage procurement processes
The skills and ability to build local teams overseas by training and engaging with projects at country level
Experience of designing and developing VAS for illiterate base of the pyramid subscribers Experience working in Nigeria
- Knowledge of BBC Editorial Guidelines
- Knowledge of the media development and media for development fields.
- Knowledge of the health sector, particularly familiarity with maternal and childhood health initiatives
- BBC Media Action works both to strengthen the media. and works through the media to reach populations and key audiences.
The following competencies(behaviors and characteristics) have been identified as key to
Success in job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Business management _ is able to understand commercial imperatives and trading relationships, appropriately applies business principles in terms of costs, the market and added value and to develop business cases and business models for mobile services
- Creative Thinking - able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Analytical Thinking - able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
- Decision Making - is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Planning and Organization - able to think ahead in order to establish and efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Priorities and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Communication - able to get one's message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. Highly-developed written and verbal skills. Listens, encourages discussions and two-way communication
- Influencing and persuading - able to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change.
- Managing relationships and team working - able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Resilience - manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energ
- Flexibility - adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one's own organization or job requirements.
- Mentoring - Is able to recognize potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realized
Method of Application
Interested candidates should please send in their application/cover letter with an introduction and capability statement stating capability for job, a detailed curriculum vitae(word document and email names and addresses) with names and addresses of at least 2 professional referees (including their telephone, fax and email addresses) not later than 21st June, 2013 to email@example.com with the position applied for clearly stated on the application letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale