Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of a Communication Officer. This position is
funded by African Development Bank (AfDB) under the Support to Agricultural Research for Development of Strategic Crops in Africa (SARO-SC).
IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R40) organization created in 1967 governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan
Africa, We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to eliminate hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iitaorg / for more information on IITA
General information: Initial appointment is for two years. Subsequent renewal of the contract will be decided based on research outputs and productivity, and continued need for the position.
The Communication Officer will report to the SARD-SC Project Coordinator through the Communication Office at IITA
* Develop, coordinate, and implement a detailed communication Plans strategy for the SARD-SC project
* Facilitate the dissemination of information on SARD-SC project activities through feature writing, press releases and social media
* Prepare and collate project scheduled reports and other documentations
* Promote and publicize SARO-SC project activities and results to various stakeholders
* Write, edit, and produce articles and news stories on project related activities and findings and have these published in project newsletter or other outlets.
* Develop and maintain good working relationships with the media including national, regional. and international newspapers, magazines, radio, and television
* Monitor and document stories citing the SARD-SC project and work closely with the project M&E SpeCialist to ensure that write-ups and reports are captured and properly documented in project reports.
* Maintain the SARD-SC project website and ensure that it is updated regularly with inputs from the different project commodity value chains.
* Develop and package prinVweblaudiovisual and multimedia materials
for the project from different project activities
* Perform any other related duties as assigned from time to time.
Qualification and Experience
* B.Sc/HND in Mass Communication or a closely related field such as Agricultural Extension from a recognized University with at least 5 years working experience or a Master's degree in Communication or a closely related field with 2 years working experience,
* Working experience in multicultural and multidisciplinary teams and environments is desirable.
* Proficiency in the use of computers, database management software, Internet-based tools and other electronic communication tools is required.
* Good understanding and knowledge of online social media tools such as Web 2.0 platforms, blog sites, etc.) and writing for the Web.
* An excellent communication skill in English language is compulsory. A working knowledge of the French language will be an added advantage.
* The candidates must also possess excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved in Microsoft Word format in their names. The curriculum Vitae must
also include names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant's current or previous organization or
applicant's direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package to IITTA website: http://www.iita.org/careers .
Closiing Date; 4th June, 2013
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.