IITA is one of the worlds leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize.
Ref No: DDG-R4D/H/PDA/02/17
- The Head of Project Development and Administration Office will strategically lead the work and ensure efficient delivery of the tasks included in the mandate of the unit and will also actively contribute to harmonization and collaboration between all directorates and units in the Institute. The Head reports to the Director for Research Support.
Priorities for Proposal Development and Administration unit are:
- Identification and timely communication of new funding opportunities aligned with the Institute strategy; Coordination of and effective support to development and delivery of competitive proposals by the Institute, including high quality internal review process; Development and update of relevant proposal templates, e.g. for budgets; Efficient management and tracking of proposal process from identification of call to submission, as well as monitoring of proposal success rate.
- Support and coordinate efficient and accurate project initiation, implementation and closure. Ensure and coordinate input for timely submission of technical and financial reports to donors.
- Provide analysis and regular updates of funding projections for the Institute, taking into account on-going projects as well as proposals in the pipeline.
- Support internal and external capacity development in project management.
- Manage and provide support across the Institute in IP-related and other legal issues; Provide templates for and support in the drafting, negotiation and finalization of all Institutes agreements and legal documents, including but not limited to: Hosting Agreements and Country Agreements; Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs); Memoranda of Agreement (MoAs); contract agreements and sub-contract agreements (including work plans and budgets); and No Cost Extension (NCE), for both donors and partners.
- Manage the proposal and project database i.e. ProMIS, including filing of agreements and documents mentioned above.
- Support the Advocacy and Resource Mobilization office in resource mobilization activities.
- The candidate should have a PhD in a relevant area.
- At least ten years of relevant job experience from international organizations/NGOs/donors preferably linked to research in tropical agriculture or international development.
- Experience in proposal development, project management, grant management or resource mobilization.
- Experience in developing web/ICT-based administrative processes and procedures for large international organizations
- Excellent and extensive organizational and administrative skills and experience.
- Ability to work well in a multicultural setting.
- Gender awareness.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Experience with ICT-based administrative software.
- Experience with MS Project an advantage.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Fluency in English, working knowledge of French a strong advantage.
The contract will be for a period of three years based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Method of Application
Interested applicant should forward their applications including a covering letter which should address how the candidates background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicants current or previous organization or applicants direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Click here for more information (PDF)
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in the workforce, therefore female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interested and qualified? Go to IITA - International Institute of Tropical Agriculture career website on jobs.iita.org to apply