The Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Aro, Abeokuta, Nigeria, came into existence in 1954; but its progenitor, then an asylum, now called Lantoro Annex, came into existence on the 13th of April, 1944. This was when 13 health attendants were transferred from the Yaba Asylum, Lagos, to open the Lantoro Institution with five mentally ill patients. These were Nigerian soldiers repatriated from the Burma war front during the Second World War. Lantoro was a former Local Government Prison which was taken over, first by the Military, and later by the then Colonial Medical Department.
- The Medical Director is the Head/Chief Executive Officer of the institution; He is accountable to the Board of Management and the Honourable Minister of Health;
- The Medical Director is charged with the responsibility for the execution of policies and matters affecting the day-to-day management of the affairs of the Hospital.
Interested candidates must have the following qualifications:
- Candidates must be Medical or Dental Practitioners registered with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria of not less than fifteen (15) years post graduation;
- Candidates must be Fellows of either the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria or West African Postgraduate Medical College or its equivalent registerable by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria;
- Candidates must be Fellows of Neuropsychiatry (Psychiatrist) duly acquired and registered with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria;
- Candidates must have been Consultants for minimum often (10) years;
- Candidates must be medically fit;
- Candidates must be of proven good character and integrity;
- Evidence of Medical Research is an added advantage;
- Administrative qualification and experience is an added advantage;
- Knowledge of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is an added advantage.
Salary and Allowances
Salary and allowances will be in accordance with the Public Service Salary Structure for this category of Officer.
Method of Application
Applicants should send Twenty (20) copies of application letters, Curriculum Vitae and other relevant credentials in a sealed envelope addressed to:
The Head of Administration,
- Candidates should also enclose his/her Vision Statement for the Hospital in not more than one thousand (1000) words.
- The Curriculum Vitae must include the names and addresses of three (3) referees, one of whom must be a Senior Medical or Dental Practitioner of not less than twenty-five (25) years post qualification experience and who should be in a position to attest to the candidates’ academic, professional and managerial abilities as well as moral character and uprightness. This should be accompanied by recommendation letters from the referees.