Accion is a global nonprofit dedicated to building a financially inclusive world with economic opportunity for all, by giving people the financial tools they need to improve their lives. We are building the next generation of top-tier microfinance institutions, and over more than 50 years have helped build 65 such institutions in 32 countries on four continents that today reach millions of clients. Through initiatives like the Venture Lab, our impact investing initiatives are pushing beyond microfinance to catalyze more than 20 innovative start-ups dedicated to improving the efficiency, reach and scope of financial services for the poor. And our Center for Financial Inclusion is helping to build a stronger industry with high standards and broad engagement. Currently, our work spans nearly two dozen countries, including the U.S., where we are the nation’s largest nonprofit microfinance network
The MD/CEO will have overall management responsibility with direct line authority in Accion Microfinance Bank Ltd (MBL), one of the leading Microfinance banks in Nigeria. It has an ownership group composed of a select number of Nigerian banks and international investors.
The MD/CEO will be the first representative of the organization and have the overall responsibility to plan, organize and control all of the day-to-day activities of the microfinance bank. At all times, the MD/CEO will be responsible to the Board of Directors of Accion MBL. He or she will be responsible for the formation and approval of the Bank’s strategy by the board of directors.
The successful candidate will have overall responsibility for the execution of the company's strategy for expansion and delivery of all the banks financial services including digital financial services in line with the business objectives agreed by the Board.
The MD/CEO will:
- Be a member of the Accion MBL Board of Directors.
- Execute the decisions of the Accion MBL Board of Directors.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of Accion MBL.
- Participate in hiring and supervision of the senior management team.
- Manage relationships with Investors, regulatory agencies, creditors and other partner institutions.
- Create and implement a framework for the operation of an effective senior management team.
- Foster and maintain a corporate culture within Accion MBL that embodies high integrity and all other Accion values.
- Ensure that the organization follows best practices for internal control and risk management.
- Operates in a fiscally responsible manner within agreed budget parameters.
- Ensure sound financial recording /reporting.
- Ensure that Accion MfB meets the targets set forth in the business plan and annual budget. Supervise all heads of department to achieve efficient, productive and profitable loan and deposit portfolio growth in line with corporate strategy.
- Lead the identification of target market segments and develop strategies for growth.
- Provide strategic input and direction for the development of performance targets, including on-going monitoring to ensure achievement of set targets.
- Build the organizational structures and business teams to maximize productivity and performance.
- Ensure business compliance with company's policies, procedures and corporate governance expectations.
- Participate in projects geared towards new products/ service development and or product / service enhancement by giving appropriate guidance on required checks, controls, processes and procedures in line with leading practices within the sector.
- Facilitate and present periodic business performance review reports to the Board.
- Participate in other Executive Management Committees and other related tasks.
- Ensure and promote advocacy roles within the Microfinance Bank Associations.
- Ensure the bank delivers on its short and long term strategic road map.
- First degree, preferably in a numeric discipline e.g. Economics, Business Administration, Accountancy, etc. or related field with a minimum of Second Class Honors (Lower Division).
- A post-graduate degree or its equivalent in any discipline. An MBA or any other related professional qualification is required.
- Relevant professional qualifications/affiliations such as ICAN, CIBN, CFA, ACIB, etc.
- A minimum of 15 - 20 years diverse experience (i.e. banking, insurance, microfinance, etc.) as well as experience in multi-functional roles within the industry.
- Minimum of 10 years senior management experience within the financial services industry.
- Prior microfinance experience is desirable, particularly within a microfinance bank with international ties.
- Attendance at relevant development programs such as those listed below would be an added advantage:
- Boulder Institute of Microfinance Training
- Harvard Business School-Accion Program on Strategic Leadership in Inclusive Finance
- School of African Microfinance
- Prior board-level experience/ experience reporting to a board/ board committee.
- Prior working experience in international organization such as World Bank, DFID, ILO, IFC etc. will be an added advantage
- Strong communication skills.
Competency/ Skill Requirements
- Knowledge and understanding of the Nigerian financial services market.
- Prior experience leading functions such as:
- Banking Operations
- Finance/Risk Management
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Good product development and portfolio management capabilities.
- Excellent customer relationship development/management skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial financial products.
- Ability to think strategically and holistically and to appreciate the systemic impact of various policies, issues and solutions.
- Must have a high sense of responsibility, accountability, integrity and ethical standards.
- Must have strong business acumen, maturity and tact, including the ability to relate with highest levels of management of financial institutions.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to ACCION Microfinance Bank career website on jobs-accion.icims.com to apply