Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs. Therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to our approach in every country in which CRS operates.
Requisition Number: 13363
Full Time or Part Time: Full Time
Reports To: Country Representative
Hours Per Week: 40
- The Deputy Country Representative for Operations (DCR/Operations) will be responsible for overall leadership and management of CRS/Nigeria’s operations support functions.
- The DCR/Ops will provide oversight and management of the following key functional areas: Human Resources, Finance, Contracts and Agreements, Supply Chain Management (SCM), Facilities & ICT, Travel, and will supervise two Head of Operations and a Contract Administrator.
- The DCR/Operations shall ensure adherence to CRS standards and ensure the availability of necessary staff and systems to develop and implement quality operations support with high levels of accountability and transparency and shall continually review, refine and strengthen systems, as necessary in order to ensure operational excellence which in turn will strengthen program quality.
- S/he will work closely with the DCR/Health Programs, DCR/Agriculture Programs and Emergency Director to ensure integration and collaboration of operations and programs across the country program.
- As a member of the CRS/Nigeria’s Leadership Team (LT), the DCR/Operations shall participate in key decision-making processes and in the strategic management of the Country Program. With the Country Representative, the DCR/Operations shall be current on CRS positions on issues concerning Nigeria’s operations and program activities and work closely with the managers and field staff to ensure a cohesive and common vision in the effective implementation of operations and program strategy in the CP.
Leadership in Operational Excellence (OpEx)
- Coach, mentor and support two Heads of Operations and a Contract Administrator. Each Head of Operations will be responsible for the following functions: (a) Finances, HR, Agreements; (b) Facilities (ICT), Travel Unit, SCM (Fleet Unit, Procurement, and Warehousing)
- Oversee Operations departments of Human Resources (particularly in the three functional areas of Recruitment, Employee Relations and Talent Management), Finance, Contracts and Agreements, Supply Chain Management (including fleet management, procurement and warehousing), Facilities (including ICT), and Travel; and provide guidance and leadership as needed to ensure quality performance.
- Ensure CRS Nigeria’s ICT unit is well functional, and in compliance with RIM assessments and other required CRS standards.
- Strengthen operations support systems, as necessary, and actively promote good communication with the 16 sub-offices across the country, including the major sub-office in Maiduguri which oversees the agency’s northeast operations; promote the coordination and collaboration with other CRS Nigeria offices, as concerns program support functions, systems and procedures; ensure agility in responding to operations concerns which have an impact on implementation of programs.
- Ensure that resource management systems, policies and procedures are in line with accepted policies and principles of CRS, local government standards and donor requirements; remain diligent with regard to managing risk and liability to the agency.
- Oversee the contracting and the records and archiving process for the country program.
- Oversee the preparation of the country program in the management of USG contracts, working in close alignment with the region and with HQ departments.
- Provide leadership in the structuring the operations department as circumstances evolve, including drafting and reviewing JDs, participating significantly in the recruitment of key positions, and developing the systems and processes necessary to ensure efficient and effective operations throughout the country program from Abuja to the field offices and the northeast sub-office.
- In coordination with the Country Representative, assure representation of CRS and coordination of CRS operations at the various levels within government and other key humanitarian actors and stakeholders in the field.
- Report regularly to the Country Representative information relating to ongoing or planned operations activities; propose amendments and/or recommend actions necessary to implement projects as proposed and/or planned in project documents and signed contracts.
- Facilitate all external and internal audits; oversee the timely closure of all outstanding audit findings and the successful implementation of all audit recommendations.
- Ensure operational excellence to achieve optimal efficiency and cost effectiveness in all functions of operations.
- Ensure that adequate and performing systems are in place to comply with CRS’ standards and principles of stewardship right across the country program within each field and sub-office.
- Ensure the country program adheres to CRS and donor policies and procedures, and that robust orientation, onboarding and continuous training for operations staff so that those policies and procedures are understood by all staff.
- Ensure compliance with all CRS and donor administrative and financial requirements and regulations.
- Ensure the country program is fully prepared to manage and administer USG contracts.
Staff Performance Management and Development:
- Supervise and mentor staff, including development of performance plans and assessment of performance.
- Provide constructive feedback and counsel on appropriate career paths and professional development for CRS staff.
- Oversee the management, coaching and development of national and international staff to build a cadre of skilled and committed personnel.
- Ensure application of principles of a just workplace and diversity, and promote staff care and well-being.
- Ensure open communications and actively promote principles of a just workplace.
- Maintain a healthy, supportive and empowering working environment for the operations team that encourages honest communication among CRS staff and with partners.
Project Management Standards (PMS) and Operations/PQ Integration:
- In collaboration with the CR, DCR/Health Programs, DCR/Agriculture Programs and Emergency Director ensure compliance of PMS.
- Provide oversight to the country program on the implementation of the SMI, including ensuring the necessary training and piloting of processes, if appropriate.
- Foster collaboration and integration of Operations and Program Quality within the country program, playing an active part in the design and delivery of the Operations/PQ summits in collaboration of the three SPA leads.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results:
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
- Builds and leads effective teams
- Definition: Promotes and guides teamwork among staff and partners as the fundamental approach to achieving CRS’s program goals.
- Supervises and Develops Program Staff
- Definition: Supports the performance and professional development of staff.
- Focuses on Quality
- Definition: Establish systems that support program quality via agency principles and standards, compliance, learning and innovation.
- Leads growth in programs
- Definition: Engages staff and partners in the development and growth of programs in line with the country strategy and CRS guiding principles.
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Country Representative; Deputy Country Representative/Health Programs, Deputy Country Representative/Agriculture Programs, Emergency Director, DRD, Operations; HQ Departments (HR, Purchasing, SCM); Regional Programming/Technical leads, Heads of Operations, other operations and programming staff including DCRs and Heads of Operations from other CPs.
- External: Partner agencies, local government and service providers.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Development, Non-profit management or related fields strongly preferred or equivalent experience.
- Seven years of field-based experience managing staff and programs, particularly in complex emergencies and insecure environments.
- At least seven years of CRS experience.
- Significant experience in Operations (and Operational Excellence) particularly in the areas of Human Resources, SCM, and USG Contracting.
- Thorough knowledge of CRS management and program principles.
- Working knowledge of Church and Caritas’ structures.
- Demonstrated qualities of leadership, sensitivity to cultural setting, communication skills, commitment and good judgment.
- Demonstrated commitment to improving gender equality and gender responsiveness in programming and operations.
- Effective planning and organization Skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to field offices; up to 40% of the time.
- Demonstrated skills in short and long term planning and program management.
- Experience in dealing with donors.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Catholic Relief Services career website on www5.apply2jobs.com to apply