MAFITA is a large-scale, six year youth employment programme operating in Nigeria’s northern states, funded by DFID and implemented by Adam Smith International in partnership with City & Guilds and Making Cents. Through a combination of innovative skills development and job creation interventions, MAFITA will support over 60,000 marginalised young people to find employment or become entrepreneurs by 2021.
MAFITA is a flagship youth employment programme for DFID and Adam Smith International. We are seeking an exceptional full-time Deputy Team Leader (DTL) to join the team from April 2017 and play a key role in delivering this exciting programme.
- Tracking Code 785-112
- Position Overview
Reporting to the Team Leader, the DTL will play an important technical and strategic leadership role, supporting delivery of interventions across all four programme components. In addition, the DTL will hold line management responsibility for research, Monitoring & Results Measurement (MRM), and the stakeholder engagement unit. Together with the Team Leader, the DTL will represent MAFITA to external stakeholders and play a key role in building and managing effective partnerships.
- Contributing to setting the programme’s strategy together with the DFID, and the Project Director and the Senior Management Team.
- Liaising closely with the Team Leader and providing strategic and technical input across the programme as needed.
- Line management of specific programme functions. Example responsibilities include:
- MRM: overseeing delivery and continual upgrading of MAFITA’s MRM system, with a focus on both rigorously proving programme results and continually improving performance, as well as value for money measurement.
- Research: effectively integrating research and evidence into programme interventions and the MRM system, running new analysis and diagnoses (e.g. assessing intervention opportunities in Jigawa state), ensuring research is accessible and useable by all programme components.
- Other functions as required.
- Inputs to strategic and operational planning. Leading design and delivery of new programme activities.
- Managing project resources to effectively and efficiently deliver outputs.
- Ensuring that the principles of the project are maintained in all activities.
- Identifying new partners for the project and together with the Team Leader in developing suitable offers of support.
- Together with the Project Managers, representing the project in the Team Leader’s absence
Duration and Location
This is a full time position, commencing by April 2017 with an expected commitment of at least two years. The DTL will be based in the Kano project office with some travel to the focal states (Kaduna, Katsina, and Jigawa), as well as Abuja. If based outside Kano, there will be scope for the selected candidate to make periodic visits home
- A demonstrated track record in a field relevant to the duties and accountabilities of the position
- An undergraduate (and preferably postgraduate) degree in a relevant field
- Experience in international development for a consultancy firm, development agency or NGO
- Strong technical experience in at least one of the following areas (experience in more than one area is desirable):
- Youth employment / empowerment
- Skills development / general education
- Local economic development / job creation / value chains and market systems development
- Substantial experience in effectively managing complex, multi-stakeholder projects or large organisations
- Experience in designing and managing project-centred monitoring and evaluation work
- Preferably experience living and working in Nigeria or elsewhere in Africa
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Hausa is desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communications and writing skills
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Adam Smith International career website on adamsmithinternational-openhire.silkroad.com to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.