Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes’ in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments.
Project Duration: 5 years
- Creative Associates seeks a Governance Director for an anticipated USAID-funded project in Nigeria.
- The Governance Director serves as the state director of all project programs, provides technical leadership, engages with state and local government leaders for monitoring and responding to opportunities for institutional reform; and manages the State Project Office staff and technical advisors.
- He/she will serve as a member of the project leadership team, working closely with counterparts in other states and facilitating knowledge transfer between state offices and with Nigerian federal officials.
- Reporting & Supervision: The Governance Director reports to the Chief of Party.
- Assist state governments to develop strategic approaches for improving governance of state operations, including improvements in public financial management, improvements in service delivery, generation of internal funding and communication with citizens;
- Assist state governments in identifying and then providing a broad range of technical assistance and capacity development to achieve strategic governance objectives.
- Support state governments to facilitate public dialogue on governance and civic engagement between government and non-governmental actors through technical assistance to local civil society organizations;
- Monitor the progress of state governments in achieving agreed upon reforms and improvements in performance;
- Support the COP and the DCOP in the development of the project strategic framework and work plans for the program implementation to ensure the achievement of the program goals;
- Support state governments to facilitate interaction, collaboration, and collective action between diverse stakeholders and leverage stakeholder networks to develop strategies advocating citizen priorities;
- Support state government efforts to engage women, youth, and excluded groups in public and political dialogue, and electoral campaigns;
- Monitor and document all implementation activities, document successes, challenges, and lessons learned and share them with through regular program reports; and
- Deliver presentations on program objectives and achievements to implementing partners, civil society organizations, government officials, donor, and other organizations.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum Master’s degree in political science, public administration, public financial management, public policy, law, economics or a related field;
- Minimum eight (8) years of related Nigerian development experience in public policy and administration, community development, , public financial management, or political analysis;
- Expertise in political economy and conflict assessment and mapping, managing complex partnerships and cross-cutting projects, and local, state, and national institutional building;
- Expertise in public service, good governance and/or accountability and oversight;
- Proven effectiveness in managing high-level government relations;
- Experience with civil society and government capacity building, and governance accountability;
- Strong experience with coalition building and collaboration with multiple stakeholders, including civil society, and government;
- Demonstrated leadership, management, strategic thinking, training, and human resources experience;
- Able to work effectively and professionally with high-level government officials, civil society organizations (CSOs), donor, project staff, and other beneficiaries;
- Demonstrated track record of developing, managing and working effectively in a teamwork environment;
- Experience with providing technical assistance, including organizing and conducting workshop and trainings; and
- Fluency in Hausa and proficiency in writing, reading and speaking English at a senior professional level.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience working in northern Nigeria;
- Knowledge of state government reform efforts in Nigeria;
- Fluency in Hausa; and
- Experience engaging women and marginalized groups to ensure their inclusion.
go to method of application »
Duration of job: 5 years
Reports to: Project Director at headquarters in Washington, D.C.
- Creative Associates seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-funded project in Nigeria.
- The COP will be responsible for the strategic and technical leadership and in-country management of the project.
- S/he will oversee the long-term expatriate and local staff and short-term experts in achieving project results.
- The COP ensures compliance with all terms of the project contract and all relevant USAID and USG rules and regulations.
- The COP will also take the lead in coordinating with USAID, the Government of Nigeria - federal and state-level - and other implementing partners
- Manages and is responsible for strategic, technical and financial performance of the project.
- Provides leadership, and oversight of all administrative matters.
- Ensures technical, financial, and administrative activities are carried out according to Creative’s policies and procedures and consistent with USAID regulations.
- Works in partnership with the Project Director, engaging in frequent, routine communication with the Home Office around the project’s progress and potential issues.
- Develops and implements Results Framework/Logical Framework, and work plans for project activities.
- Oversees project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensures that project results are met.
- Supervises development and submission of project deliverables and provides timely and accurate reporting and briefings to USG/Stakeholders on all program areas.
- Oversees implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues.
- Responsible for managing the project’s relationships with federal and national level organizations and coordinating relationships with state, and local counterparts, with project State Governance Directors.
- Oversees implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities, and ensures that project results and targets are met.
- Manages project team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development, and solicits constructive staff input.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of Master’s degree from an accredited university in public administration, public financial management, economics, public policy or a relevant field is required.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience working on public administration and governance programs.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic development and managing to achieve strategic results.
- Prior experience implementing large USG programs with a Contractor or international NGO with demonstrated supervisory experience and in remote or distance management.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge establishing systems and rapid start-up of analytical studies and surveys.
- Demonstrated experience in developing managing and working with effective host country Teams.
- Experience in hiring and supervising host country staff and ensuring they have the necessary training and skills to meet program needs.
- Financial management experience, including budgeting, financial management (tracking, reporting, and accounting) and procurement.
- Experience with project design and implementation.
- Past representational experience with host governments, other donors, and civil society and demonstrated success with inter-agency coordination and joint programming.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Experience working in Sub-Sahara Africa and/or Nigeria.
- Knowledge of state government reform efforts in Nigeria.
- Experience working on programs related to good governance, public financial management, government service delivery, citizen engagement, and/or conflict mitigation.
- Understanding of and ability to implement findings of political economy analysis.
- Proficiency in Hausa is preferred.
- Experience engaging women and marginalized groups to ensure their inclusion
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.