Cuso International is a development organization that works to reduce poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships and compassionate donors. We envision a world where all people are able to realize their potential, develop their skills and participate fully in society. We believe in the power of people, value diversity and take responsibility for our actions and proactively demonstrate that we work with and on behalf of others. Cuso International works in developing countries across the world. We currently have programs in eighteen countries.
About Girls' Power Initiative Nigeria
Like Cuso International, our partner the Girl's Power initiative knows that every girl has great inner strength and the capability to take control of their own futures, if only they are given the skills necessary to do so. For over 20 years, this Nigerian not-for-profit has been giving young girls and women the knowledge they require to act and the conviction to overcome prejudices.
Their successes come from three streams of work: internships which empower women to become leaders in sexual education in their own communities, the Gender Development Institute (GDI) which increases public awareness around the importance of gender equality, and their outreach program which brings the GPIs knowledge and skills development to Nigeria’s most vulnerable girls through school curriculums and intensive holiday programming.
The volunteer's role
The purpose of this placement is to improve the capacity of the partner to increase the reach of their project profile through optimized ICT systems.
The volunteer will:
Essential Academic Qualifications
Essential Professional Background/Competencies
- Experience developing training guides
- Graphic design experience
- Experience in website design, development and management
- Experience developing content for websites and other social media platforms
Desirable Academic Qualifications
Desirable Professional Background/Competencies
- Experience in Intranet setup and management of filing backup systems
- Experience working in a developing country
- Knowledge of development issues, particularly gender-related development issues
- Experience working in the development and/or gender field or on development and/or gender related projects and programs
- Experience working in a cross-cultural environment
- Experience training adult learners
Important information for candidates
Cuso International covers the following costs:
- Return airfare and visa/permit costs
- Accommodation while overseas
- Modest living allowance while overseas
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- The cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while overseas and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and in-country training orientation
Fundraising: We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
E-volunteering: Depending on the nature of the placement volunteers are encouraged to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement.
Interested and qualified? Go to Cuso International career website on cusoconnect.cusointernational.org to apply