New Job Placement at Solidarites International (SI)
Posted on: 23 December, 2016
Deadline: 17 January, 2017
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Solidarites International
Solidarites International (SI) has not been active in Nigeria in the past and therefore has a limited experience in the country. SI sent a first exploratory team in Nigeria (North-Eastern States) for three weeks in April. A continued presence of senior managers has been maintained since mid-May in Borno state and Abuja. Additionally, SI registration in Nigeria is ongoing with the help of a local lawyer.
Location: Maiduguri - Monguno - Dikwa, Borno
About the Mission
SI has been operating in Borno State since July 2016, and is strongly focusing on the massive life-saving needs of the conflict-affected populations, through a 3-legged strategy:
- Multisectorial early recovery interventions in secured areas, implemented at neighborhood level in order to take into consideration the environmental context, risk factors, availability of resources and resilience capacities at a community level. This holistic approach entails a vulnerability-tailored assistance combined with a capacity building component.
- Acting on water to fight against malnutrition. SI with its partner, a medical NGO, is doing its best to reduce malnutrition rates, especially of under-5-year children, alongside host communities and displaced people. To do so, SI equips nutrition and healthcare centers with water treatment and sanitation systems. In parallel, in host communities in both cities and in the camp in which 40,000 displaced people are living, within the walls of an old school in the city of Monguno, our teams are renovating water points, building toilets and working on water treatment solutions.
- Reducing food insecurity. In Maiduguri and especially Muna Garaje, SI is implementing cash distribution programmes with vouchers (particularly for families with acute-malnourished children) to permit food access to the most vulnerable populations. SI aims to reduce significant food insecurity in the area. The other important line is that our team is acting on the stabilisation and safeguarding of livelihoods, to empower populations and decrease their dependence on food assistance, and furthermore, to reduce food insecurity.
- An emergency multisectoral assessment capacity in remote areas: RRM-inspired, and taking into consideration Borno State-related security and access situation, this axis would allow the provision of concrete, response-sizing oriented data to the humanitarian community, in strong coordination with mapping and coordination actors (OCHA, IOM database, Intersos interactive mapping database).
- Rapid response mechanism in IDPs camp-like settings outside Maiduguri: subsequently to the assessment axis, SI is aiming at covering the basic needs of displaced and non-displaced populations pockets in Borno most affected LGAs, in completion of ICRC’s current one-shot coverage.
Organization of the Mission
- The Nigeria mission is currently stabilizing its opening process. Due to projects’ expansion, a substantial increase in base staffing is expected in January and February 2017.
- Coordination is expected to spend a considerable amount of time in Maiduguri, in direct support of field based operations.
- Therefore, the mission has a coordination team based between Abuja and Maiduguri, which includes a Head of Mission, an Administrative coordinator, a Logistics Coordinator and a Program Coordinator.
- Operations are to be based in Maiduguri, Monguno and other relevant areas.
- In Maiduguri the team is currently composed of one Field Coordinator, Project Manager(s), a Base Logistician and an Administrator.
- The Monguno sub-base is composed of an Administrative and Logistics Manager supported by a Log/Admin assistant recruited as national staff and an activity manager.
- The Dikwa sub base will open in February 2017 and will have the same set up.
About the Job
- The program coordinator contributes to the development of SI strategy by proposing sector-based strategies for the whole activities.
- He/she specifically the guarantor of the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness between SI’s activities and general objectives and needs of the population.
- He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of programs implemented in the intervention country.
- He/she contributes to the capitalization process and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques.
- Education: Project Management and/or WaSH or Foods Security background.
- Experience: Work in Emergency Context and Remote set up, Developing country strategy and programing & mission opening
- Technical skills and knowledge: Experience in Livelihoods, Cash based assistance, Experience in WASH programs
- Transferable skills: Proposal writing, Assessment
- Languages: English mandatory, Hausa is a plus
- Other desirable qualities: unstable security conditions in Maiduguri, ability to adapt and work under pressure.
SI will offer you:
- A salaried post: according to experience from 2500 euros gross per month, plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly, and a monthly Per Diem.
- Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
- During the assignment, the expatriate is entitled to R&R every three months: two weeks at three months with a 500 euro allowance and two weeks at six months with a plane ticket back home covered by Solidarités.
- After 6 weeks one the field, expatriate will be encouraged to take 1 week in Abuja (3 days off and 2 days in office)
Method of Application
- CV only applications will not be considered.
- The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension.
Interested and qualified? Go to Solidarites International career website on emea3.recruitmentplatform.com to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Solidarites InternationalSimilar Jobs
- Administrative Interns at Mercy Corps Nigeria
- Researchers at Human Rights Watch
- Job Openings at AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF)
- Logistics Coordinator at Medecins Du Monde
- Job Vacancies at FHI 360
- Stock/Freight Manager at Solidarites International
- Project Officer at Search For Common Ground
- Job Vacancies at TechnoServe