Oxfam is a leading International NGO working to end poverty and injustice. We work directly with communities and we seek to influence the powerful to ensure that poor people can improve their lives and livelihoods and have a say in decisions that affect them.
Our humanitarian, development and campaigning projects change lives around the world. It is an exciting time to join Oxfam, as it commences its transition to One Oxfam, merging affiliates and activities in country to provide a fully integrated programme.
Req ID: 1181
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- To ensure Oxfam has the management, technical and logistical capacity to scale up and to respond rapidly to major humanitarian emergencies and development anywhere in the world.
- To serve as an advisor to the Country Director on safety and security related issues.
- Ensuring that country Security Management Plan as well as Standard Operating procedures is developed, implemented, monitored and reviewed regularly; Support and help the in country Safety and Security Coordinator with the day to day management of safety and security for Oxfam in Nigeria.
- Post holder reports to: Program Manager North East / Country Director
- Safety and Security budget and all costs related to guards and other security related functions or work
- The position is based on the need to build and sustain long-term safety and security risk reduction capacity within the Oxfam’s programmes in NE Nigeria.
- Reports, analyses and communicates current socio-political context and the security situation and the wider context (country, region, global trends as applicable).
- Advise on up-to-date context analysis and risk assessment.
- Develops an incident reporting system and ensuring that the incident register is updated regularly.
- Undertakes regular and ad hoc security assessment missions as necessary, in order to gather information and to analyse the overall security situation in existing and potential areas of Oxfam intervention.
- Conducts ongoing threat assessments and compile s daily/weekly situation reports/monthly security analysis and ensures that the information is shared on a timely manner.
Security Management and Support:
- Design/update reliable safety and Security Management System/Standard Operating Plans/Contingency Plans.
- Manages the implementation of a comprehensive security and business continuity management system taking cognisance of the evolution of situations.
- Ensures that all safety and security management systems are in line with existing Oxfam security policy, protocol and approach.
- Supports the Program Manager, Country Director and Security Officer to determine and address security issues as they arise.
- Supports in planning and implementing risks mitigation strategies (acceptance, deterrence, protection) in order to improve safety and security.
- Ensures that appropriate safety and security systems are in place to provide timely and accurate security information to all staff members and visitors.
- Supports on incident management, lessons learnt and any follow up actions/ changes to procedures.
- Supports in the case of crisis management (support to the Crisis Management Team).
- As the security expert in the Region, provides strategic and operation leadership in the management of security.
- Provides crisis management support (evacuation and hibernation) as required.
- Review induction documents with respect to security; identifies organisational training safety and security training needs and coordinates required trainings for staff, security officers and third party security personnel’s.
- Ensures that there is system in place to enhance security skills and awareness that are required for effectiveness especially in areas of accident prevention, safety, health and occupational hazards by planning and facilitate appropriate learning and development opportunities.
- Assists and leads security and emergency related training.
- Facilitates / provides learning & development as well as exchange experiences at all levels. Identifying staff security training, learning and development needs and ensuring access to the training across the region (including appropriate planning and resourcing).
- Builds and maintains close contacts with all relevant stakeholders to gather reliable security information, facilitate the sharing of best practices and the adoption of an integrated approach where possible.
- Attends security & emergency related briefings and meetings and share security related information accordingly.
- Interfaces with, and coordinates the support of, third party security and risk management service providers.
- Collaborates with Field Office and Field Operations teams to determine and address security issues in the field as they arise;
Educational Qualification and Experience
- University degree in in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science or related discipline
- At least 5 years’ INGO/UN safety and risks management experience and proven leadership experience of security assessment, planning and implementation of procedures in the context of UN or NGO humanitarian operations.
- Familiarity with operational and security practices for high threat environments.
- Experience in liaising with communities, civilians, police and/or military government authorities as well as with regional institutions preferred.
- Experience in humanitarian operations, preferably within the field of information management as related to security management and operational planning.
- Proven experience of capacity building and field based trainings.
Skills and Competence
- Proven practical experience of security management in a complex, conflict, humanitarian context.
- Proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences including in complex and stressful circumstances.
- Ability to advice and support in a consultative manner.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with ability to work in a systematic and organized manner with good attention to accuracy and details.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- A sound understanding of the importance of gender.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work with a diverse set of staff at different levels within the organisation
- Strong report writing, analytical skills with good usage of computers and office software packages (Ms. Word, Excel, etc.)
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
Key Behavioural Competencies for the Present Position
(Based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model)
- Decisiveness: We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
- Influencing: We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
- Relationship Building: We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
- Mutual Accountability: We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
- Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity: We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
- Systems Thinking: We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organisational decisions and actions.
- Strategic Thinking and Judgment: We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
What We Offer
- Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Oxfam career website on career2.successfactors.eu to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.