Mercy Corps is an international relief and development organization working in over 40 countries worldwide helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps Nigeria implements a variety of programs with the ultimate goal of building productive, secure and just communities. The organization’s programs are implemented in twelve states, mainly in north and north east parts of Nigeria and Lagos. Our work covers the following sectors: economic development, livelihoods/food security, adolescent girls & boys empowerment, financial resilience, conflict mitigation and humanitarian response. Common themes include community engagement, inclusive development, gender, and working in partnership with local government, the private sector and civil society actors.
General Position Summary
- Under the direct instruction of the Senior Human Resource Manager, this position provides supervisory oversight to the Human Resource team to ensure efficient and effective operations; ensures human resources practices and objectives translate into an employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, goal attainment while managing the recruitment and ongoing development of a committed and skilled workforce in Mercy Corps Nigeria.
Essential Job Function
- Monitors the KPI of the HR Officers, HR assistants and HR interns both at field and head office
- Deputizes for the Senior Human Resource Manager.
- In liaison with the Senior Human Resource Manager, manages the recruitment processes of national staff in line with Mercy Corps’ procedures and standards.
- In liaison with the Senior Human Resource Manager, identifies different advertising and recruitment methods and participates in Talent Scouting
- Ensures recruitment systems allow Mercy Corps Nigeria to hire top-quality talent.
- Works with the senior human resource manager to hold disciplinary and termination meetings at the field and Head office as and when required
- Works with the senior human resource manager to implement transparent and appropriate HR practices, standards/procedures and policies in accordance with Mercy Corps Nigeria Employee Handbook
- Oversees the monthly procedure of time sheet allocation for all staff including collection, review and compilation into payroll, and training new staff on timesheet procedure.
- Processes monthly timesheet summary in conjunction with finance staff and ensure payroll is delivered in a timely manner to all offices.
- Ensures that the induction and onboarding process is conducted for all new hires reporting to Mercy Corps within the first one week.
- Ensure that leave tracking system is functional and up to date regularly.
- Ensure exit staffs have completed the exit process and ensures that their benefits are being computed.
- Oversee the effective implementation of the performance management system that includes assisting in the performance review of staff and timely update of the performance assessment tool.
- Ensure annual submissions of departmental and nation-wide training plans.
- Ensure medical and life plan trackers are in place and regularly updated.
- Carry out a benefits comparison survey on per diem, salaries, cost of living among other rewards as and when required
- Provides regular HR analytics and reports as and when required
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, benefits administration, organizational planning and development, employee relations, safety, training and development and office administration.
- Must have excellent Microsoft Excel skills
- Must have previous experience in payroll management
- Must have a working knowledge and be current with all relevant employment related laws.
- Excellent analytical skills and good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Superior interpersonal and coaching skills including patience and ability to work well with staff at all levels.
- Proven experience in Crisis/ Conflict Management.
- Proven success in managing an HR team.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully participate in senior management teams that provide leadership and strategic direction.
- Must have unparalleled business acumen and must possess project management skills
- Must exhibit a high level of initiative, flexibility and credibility
Qualification & Experience
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Economics, Finance or Accounting
- 4-6 years of professional experience with at least 4 years of progressive and hands-on HR generalist experience evident in multiple human resource disciplines, including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, employee and union relations, diversity, performance management, and relevant employment laws
- Membership of relevant professional body (CIPM, SHRM, etc) is an added advantage
- Fluency in English is required. Hausa will be a plus.
- The successful candidate will be proactive, creative and a problem solver. S/he will be conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment.
- S/he will be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and will be capable of multitasking.
- S/he will demonstrate strong understanding of cultural and social environment in the region and have the willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide verity of people.
Living Environmental Conditions
- This position will be based in Abuja with estimated 25% travel, primarily to program locations within the Middle Belt and Northeast and other conflict-affected states, where security is at times high-risk.
- Security in Abuja is generally good, although there are times when security is an issue. Housing, health care, water, electricity and consumer goods are all reasonably accessible and there are good international and domestic travel options from Abuja Airport.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit their CV's and Cover letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.