The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
Job Number: 502081
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
- The incumbent of the post under direct supervision and guidance of the Nutrition Manager of UNICEF Nigeria Country Office will support the finalization of an advocacy strategy and implementation plan for a Nutrition Programme agreed between the Federal Government of Nigeria and UNICEF under the 2014 - 2017 Country Programme of Cooperation. Support leveraging government funding on a sustainable and predictable basis for nutrition program implementation.
Key Expected Results/Major Responsibilities
- Review situation reports and analysis including nutritional status of children and women, as elaborated in existing programmes, policy and institutional framework and challenges.
- Undertake analysis to identify policy changes and efforts that would promote enabling environment to address the needs of the target population as well as potential barriers to its full realization.
- Undertake a clear advocacy mapping to identify decision-makers who have the power and influence to change policy and resource mobilization to address the needs.
- Support government resource leveraging and system strengthening through UNICEF nutrition upstream work particularly in Southern Nigeria.
- Identify opposition to the policy change, reasons for their opposition, barriers and bottlenecks for resource allocation for nutrition.
- Assess institutional strengths and weaknesses in advocating for the policy change.
- Conduct a policy scan and fiscal space and allocation for nutrition by different stakeholders.
- Identify others who have a similar interest in addressing the problem, beyond the health sector and also in the private sector.
- Identify advocacy activities and champions that could influence those in power.
- Assess current and future resources that could be accessed to pursue the change.
- Determine how to evaluate progress and success.
- Support resource leveraging for Nutrition at all levels
Qualification and Experience
- An Advanced University Degree in Nutrition, Public Health, Nutritional Epidemiology, Development Studies, Mass Communication, Global/International Health and Nutrition, Health/Nutrition Research, Policy and/or Management, or other health related science field is required.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in Nutrition, public health, related research or planning and management in relevant areas of maternal, infant and child nutrition, at the international level some of which preferably in a developing country is required.
- Relevant experience in health/nutrition policy/program/project development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Experience of experience high level advocacy for resource mobilization is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and local working language.
- Gender and diversity awareness
Core Values (Required):
- Diversity and Inclusion
Core Competencies (Required):
- Drive for Result [II]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Following Instructions and Procedures [II]
- Planning and Organizing [II]
- Leading and Supervising [II]
- Deciding and Initiating Actions [II]
Functional Competencies (Required):
- Working with People [II]
- Communication [II]
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNICEF career website on www.unicef.org to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale