The European Union (EU) is a major player in the international development community in Nigeria with an active presence in the key sectors of health, nutrition, water and sanitation and improving access to sustainable electricity. Additional cross-cutting activities include the fight against corruption, drugs and organised crime, support to the reform of the justice system, measures to increase the role democratic processes and supporting a greater role for civil society.
Job No: 54329
- The Delegation of the European Union to Federal Republic of Nigeria invites applications for a post of Secretary/Assistant. The successful candidate will provide secretarial support to members of staff working in the Trade and Economics Section, and in particular act as the Secretary of the Head of Section (organising and providing logistic support for meetings, drafting letters of appreciation/ regrets, etc.).
- To perform in an effective, efficient and timely manner the clerical tasks which he/she is requested to take care of in order to contribute to the efficient functioning of the Trade and Economics Section and of the EU Delegation.
- As such, the position requires a high degree of professionalism, an excellent oral and written communication, the ability to assess and provide recommendations to the Head of section, good organization, planning and reporting capabilities, independent judgment, strong organisational skills, and the ability to be flexible as demands and priorities change.
Functions and Duties
General secretarial duties:
- To coordinate appointments and diaries of members of the Trade and Economics Section.
- Organization and preparation of meetings; arranging appointments.
- Responding and placing telephone calls
- Organisation and management of contacts list and databases.
- Collecting information, review local press.
- Draft letters and notes (ensure they correspond to correct format, filing); take, transcribe, prepare and finalize notes, compose and type routine correspondence.
- Receive, register and follow-up of incoming mail, correspondence, outgoing mail.
- Filing and up keeping of the filing system and archives of the Section.
- Organize together with other Sections and provide support to external missions from Headquarters, other Delegations or other European institutions.
- Organize, in close coordination with other Sections, missions for Delegation staff: travel and accommodation arrangements, appointments and missions' expense claims.
- When required, organize dinners, receptions and other events, including coordination of representation costs.
- Ensuring the regular update of the Section's budget
- Ensure smooth document and information management through ARES or any equivalent IT tool, and preparing physical files and signatories as necessary
- Close contact and cooperation with Administration section in order to facilitate related requests (such as business cards)
- Assist in establishing and updating of the Europe Day guests list in so far as the operations section is concerned.
- Establishing and updating of an exhaustive database for the section contacts (names, addresses, telephone, fax, mobile, sector, institution, etc.
- Keep abreast about developments related to the section portfolio and main issues concerning the section
- When required, undertake other assignments that may be requested in view of the efficient functioning of the Delegation.
Education and Training
- At least a diploma, post secondary qualification or equivalent qualification in secretarial studies or related field is required.
- A university degree will be an advantage.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in the secretariat/personal assistant field is required (more than 5 years will be an asset).
- Previous experience within a diplomatic embassy or an international organisation will be an advantage.
- Excellent command of English language; both oral and written. Knowledge of French is an advantage.
This position is in Group IV, gross remuneration will be raised depending on years of relevant professional experience as foreseen on the Local Agents' salary grid.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their application which will consist of a letter explaining your interest and suitability for this position and Curriculum Vitae (each 2 pages maximum) and should be sent by email to "the attention of Head of Administration" via: email@example.com
Note: Applications received after the deadline or not conforming to these instructions will be automatically rejected.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.