The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the camp management, shelter, education, food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
Commencement: February 2017
Duration: 18 months
- NRC is looking for an experienced and dedicated Security Manager for our programme in Northern Nigeria.
- The Security Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of the NRC Security Management System at national level.
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja.
- Borno State is host to the largest number of IDPs with the biggest concentration in Maiduguri City. NRC is providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- The Security Manager reports to the Country Director.
- Development and implementation of the NRC Security Management System at national level
- Conduct Security Risk Analysis (SRA) according to minimum operational requirements (MOSS)
- Minimize security risks to the operations of NRC
- Management of security staff at country office
- Support, training, control and development of security staff in all offices
- Prepare reports as required
- Communicate and cooperate with relevant external security actors
- Train and develop staff in safety and security
- Coordinate and manage Security activities, draft budgets, contribute to proposals and strategies in accordance with NRC and donor requirements;
- Contribute to the development of Country, Area and programme strategies
- Member of Country Management Group
- Lead and monitor the implementation and compliance of NRC security risk management framework
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a senior Security Advisor in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of the lake Chad Basin context
- Knowledge of Hausa (local language) is an asset
- Ability and willingness to work and live under difficult circumstances
- Handling insecure environments
- Initiating action and change
- Empowering and building trust
- A good sense of humour is an advantage
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and free housing of moderate standard.
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels to the field and Abuja. Maiduguri is a non-family posting. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area. Recreational and social facilities are limited, and accommodation is modest. International staff members are required to live in joint accommodation.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start
Method of Application
Application procedures and CV registration
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV.
- There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
Interested and qualified? Go to career website on candidate.webcruiter.com to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.