The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
The protection and assistance to conflict affected population is provided within a long term, regional and rights based approach in order to constitute a coherent and effective response to the challenges posed by today’s conflicts. Assistance consists of relief and other humanitarian aid, rehabilitation, support to return and repatriation as well as promotion of long term solutions to displacement and its causes. In addition, support and capacity building of local and national authorities and NGOs form an integral part of DRC’s work.
Start date: January 2017
Contract: 2 years
About the Programme
DRC is the process of scaling up and emergency programme in Nigeria focusing on responding to the huge humanitarian needs and challenges in the North East of Nigeria. Nigeria’s northeast is currently experiencing a significant humanitarian crisis, which has been the result of the ongoing-armed conflict between Boko Haram, the Nigerian military and the Multi-National Task Force in the north-east.
An estimated 10 million people are affected by the conflict, this has led to a state of emergency being declared in three north-eastern states and spill-over effects into neighbouring countries. High insecurity in the region has made access for humanitarian actors extremely difficult and further exacerbating the situation.
DRC operations will initially focus on Borno and Adamawa States where DRC focus on meeting the basic needs (protection, WASH, food security and shelter) of urban caseloads and displacement camps, as well as establishing access to affected areas that have opened in recent months.
You will be based in Abuja but will be expected to travel on a regular basis to all office locations, as well as the broader north-east region (depending on access) and eventually other countries within the region.
- Are you ready to pursue an exciting opportunity to join a progressive humanitarian organization in a top leadership role?
- And are you the experienced and knowledgeable Country Director who can lead the Danish Refugee Council’s new country operation in Nigeria? Then we want to hear from you.
About the Role
Overall Purpose of the Role:
- You are expected to provide strategic leadership to the country programme to ensure that the projects initiated in Nigeria meet the standards set by DRCs programme handbook and the operational guidelines established in the Regional Office; to be achieved through effective planning and coordination.
- In addition DRC is looking for someone with significant leadership skills to help the team adapt to a rapidly changing context and scale of operation.
- Be a driving force developing the DRC programmes in Nigeria, undertaken in coordination and consultation with local and international partners.
- Represent Danish Demining Group, DRC’s Armed Violence Reduction (AVR) unit, and identifying opportunities for integrated DRC/DDG programme development that focus efforts on conflict transformation, community safety and mine action in collaboration with DDG’s Regional Manager for West Africa and Global Specialist Leads for AVR and mine action.
- Oversee the establishment financial and management systems for the county programme and provide overall budget monitoring, financial management and expenses control including compliance with minimum DRC/DDG and donor requirements.
- Overall responsibility for security including development and ensuring adherence to security procedures, monitoring the development in the security situation, analysing and provision of recommendations.
- Act as representative for the programme to authorities, donors, partners, and in various co-ordination forums.
- To provide strong fundraising abilities and play key role in fundraising and donor contract management.
- Design the Results Contract annually in line with the Regional Strategic Programme Document and report on it quarterly, incorporating adjustments as needed.
- Lead country level strategic planning processes and take an active engagement in regional and international policy and planning fora
- The County Director for Nigeria will report to the Regional Director for West Africa who is based in Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- A minimum of 10 years of senior management experience with a humanitarian agency, including experience with large scale emergency response programmes and operation and a relevant educational background (e.g. political or social science, international development, economics
- In-depth knowledge of and experience working with displacement issues of both internal to displaced persons and refugees and related international standards/frameworks.
- Proven ability to design, manage, monitor and evaluate programmes, preferably with a focus on protection and durable solutions for refugees, returnees and displaced people.
- Experience with financial management, administration, human resource development and logistics.
- A systematic approach with starting up programmes and an ability to lead planning processes
- Strong ability to collaborate, network and negotiate with local partners, Governments, UN, donors and other NGOs.
- Proven management experience at senior level including capacity building, training and mentoring, especially in complex humanitarian environments;
- Experience in developing fundraising strategies.
- Fluent in English is essential (spoken and written). Ability to operate in French is an added advantage.
- Work experience from Nigeria and, or the West Africa region is desirable.
- You have the ability to motivate and guide staff working in complex and unpredictable environments and relish the capacity building side of your job.
- You are known to be a strong and confident leader; who on the one hand is inclusive, approachable and good at delegating while on the other hand is not afraid to stand alone and take tough decisions, all the while able to focus on managing your country at a strategic level.
- You have a natural talent for working analytically and find that you excel in tasks concerning negotiation, advocacy and interpersonal communication.
- Last, but not least, you thrive by working in complex emergency operation within a changing and insecure environment and as a result have a natural ability to work well under pressure - that mirrors your solid personal stamina.
All employees should master DRC's core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- The position is placed at Level A7
- Remuneration and other conditions in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates, which can be found on our website under Vacancies
Method of Application
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered.
- Please provide references, but do not attach any written recommendations.
- We only accept applications sent via our online recruitment system on our website.
Interested and qualified? Go to Danish Refugee Council (DRC) career website on candidate.hr-manager.net to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale