The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) was launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. GAIN is a global, Swiss-based foundation that mobilizes public-private partnerships and provides financial and technical support to deliver nutritious foods to those people most at risk of malnutrition. Our programs in Africa and Asia enable better diets via nutritional products, such as fortified staples foods, including cooking oil and flour, and condiments like salt and soy sauce. We also support improved maternal and infant health by promoting breastfeeding and specialized products for infants over six months and young children. In addition, we partner with local businesses to improve the quality of food along agricultural value chains. By building alliances that deliver impact at scale, we believe malnutrition can be eliminated within our lifetimes.
The Project Manager Food Fortification will work closely with the GAIN Nigeria Country Director and the Strengthening African Processors for Food Fortification (SAPFF) team. S/he will lead engagement with stakeholders (especially from government) to address fortification issues primarily related to compliance, quality and overall governance; deliver training on monitoring and verification to selected government agencies and regulatory bodies. The Project Manager will support the Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON) and industry associations to help implement the Nigeria Quality Awards (NQA).
S/he will also be responsible for assessing the capacity of testing laboratories and supporting regulators in the oversight of premix producers and suppliers.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Strategically supporting the effective implementation of all the national fortification programmes (universal salt iodization, fortification of wheat flour and edible oil) through:
- Advising on improved roles and responsibilities to the governance of the national food fortification programme.
- Conducting reviews of the current internal and external quality systems in the food industry and provide technical support to build the capacity of stakeholders in industry, regulatory, and certification bodies. o Facilitating the review of national standards for the fortification of edible oil and other emergent food vehicles as required (rice, cassava, processed foods, etc.), providing technical support for establishing improved legal frameworks for food fortification.
- Disseminating national standards and directives to key stakeholders and create awareness for better compliance.
- Contributing to the assessment of the availability and capacity of testing laboratories in Nigeria with a view to identifying gaps.
- Strengthening the capacity of government and third-party testing laboratories.
- Providing technical assistance (TA) to regulators in the oversight of premix/supplement producers and suppliers, including the certification and streamlining the supply, procurement, and distribution of premix companies and suppliers.
- Providing TA to National Fortification Alliance (NFA) in the implementation of Nigeria Quality Awards (NQA) through the adaptation/expansion of the universal salt iodization USI/Management Information System (MIS) for regulatory monitoring of food fortification (Setting up Data Center including security, storage, servers, etc.).
- Coordinating communications among government institutions, non-governmental organizations, UN agencies, and private industry, including organizing meetings and workshops.
- Ensure that all project activities are completed according to the national project implementation timeframe.
- Write and ensure timely submission of implementation, progress, and financial reports.
- Deliver technical assistance and to monitor progress on the field.
- Contribute to the monitoring and evaluation of fortification coverage using Fortification Assessment Coverage Tool (FACT).
- Represent GAIN at technical meetings and workshops pertaining to food fortification.
- Other activities as assigned.
Key Organizational Relationships
- Reports to the Country Director, Nigeria.
- Works with other GAIN Nigeria programmes including SUN Business Network, Agriculture for Nutrition, and liaises as needed with GAIN’s global fortification team.
- Liaises with local partners and stakeholders to ensure optimal project implementation.
- Liaises with consultants and experts who provide technical assistance to the project.
- Liaises with partners, donors, and other stakeholders to safeguard GAIN’s external reputation
- Extensive experience in developing and managing projects in nutrition, food processing, fortification, food science, or related areas.
- Experience and knowledge of best practice in quality assurance and control, food safety, and regulatory mechanisms.
- Experience in strategy development, advocacy, communications, and documentation of best practices.
- Ability to advocate, cultivate and negotiate significant partnerships in high level meetings and similar settings.
- Experience in providing on-the-job and formal training to various partners as well as management of workshops and other public events.
- Knowledge of food fortification and public nutrition programming is preferred.
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent project coordination, management, negotiation, and advocacy skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to operate within the corporate and public sectors to effectively liaise with private companies, development agencies, and governments at senior level.
- Takes initiative, prioritizes, multi-tasks, and works well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment, expert problem solving, and creativity. Strong presentation and communication skills in multi-cultural, multi-lingual environments.
- Ability to provide direction and support in the formulation and dissemination of strategy, policy analysis, and recommendations.
- Excellent follow-up skills within a diverse set of concurrent operation, programme, and business development related functions.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Master’s degree in public health, nutrition, food technology, international development
- Experience working in Nigeria
- Eligible to live and work in Nigeria
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential
- Comfortable to travel 50% of the time
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) career website on jobs.gainhealth.org to apply