The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC is about to start up an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC will initially be starting activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter/NFI sectors. NRC is therefore seeking a HR Officer in Maiduguri, Nigeria. The HR Officer reports to the HR/Admin Coordinator.
- These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Provide support to supervisors and staffs to develop the skills and capabilities of staffs.
- Recruiting staff - this includes developing job descriptions and person specifications, preparing job adverts, checking application forms, shortlisting, interviewing and selecting candidates.
- Provide information to staff, supervisors and council on human resource and work related issues.
- Working closely with various departments, increasingly in a consultancy role, assisting line managers to understand and implement policies and procedures.
- Promoting equality and diversity as part of the culture of the organization
- Developing and implementing policies on issues like working conditions, performance management, equal opportunities, disciplinary procedures and absence management.
- developing with line managers HR planning strategies which consider immediate and long-term staff requirements
- Analyzing training and development needs in conjunction with departmental managers and delivering trainings in line with NRC’s policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies and the local labour law in all procedures and processes.
- The HR Officer is expected to achieve the following during this contract period.
- Ensure reporting, documenting and payment of staff benefits, social security, taxes in line with NRC’s HR policy
- administering payroll and maintaining employee records
- Prepare periodic HR reports.
- Coordinate with relevant partners, suppliers, authorities, lawyers etc
- Dealing with grievances and implementing disciplinary procedures.
- Provide HR support in the NRC Field Office in recruitment, exit and induction of new staff.
- Provide advice on the incorporation of local labour laws with NRC’s HR policies and procedures.
- Provide support in determining the NRC staff training needs and organizing trainings to meet those needs.
- Ensure compliance with NRC’s Code of conduct and HR policies by all staff
- Ensure a proper payroll and staff benefit administration
- Oversee the staff performance evaluation.
- At least 2 years’ experience working as a Human Resource Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Good university degree from a reputable university
- Professional degree would be an added advantage
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English and Hausa, both written and verbal
- High level competence in computer skills (Microsoft office Applications)
- Relevant experience in HR and knowledge in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel Powerpoint).
- Excellent inter personal and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Organised and a good planner and possess significant understanding of complex emergencies
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
Contract period: 12month
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
Duty station: Maiduguri, Borno State
Method of Application
Applicants can submit their application letter and updated CV to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The title of the position (HR Officer - Maiduguri) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please note that to apply at NRC is FREE!!
- NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.