If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
WaterAid - With a population of over 150 million people, Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa. Political unrest, poor governance and corruption have led to decades of water shortages, while the population has increased rapidly.
Though there is surface and ground water, rapid population growth, particularly in urban areas, has not been supported with additional resources. Only 11% of people have access to safe sanitation and 42% live without access to clean water.
Funding for water, sanitation and hygiene is low and there is little coordination within the government. The poorest and most marginalised people live in unofficial slum settlements using expensive private services.
Reports to: Head of Finance & IT
Duration: 12 months
Location: Country office, Abuja
Purpose of Job:
WaterAid is currently developing a new country strategy which potentially will lead to expansion in size and scope of the country programme and invariably, its advocacy, networking, programme management and service delivery focus to ensure efficient delivery of desired outcomes both for internal and external customers.
The idea of this role of the Finance Intern is intended to be a learning and development opportunity for young professionals to gain exposure and build skills through work in an international development organization and potentially, build a crop of professionals with experience relevant to the international development or other professional sectors.
- Ensure accuracy, security and documentation of petty cash and cash receipts. Be the custodian of office petty cash.
- Ensure that petty cash is maintained at agreed minimum levels through collection of cash from bank when required.
- Support in postings of transactions into SUN, Vision and other systems/ templates.
- Support in monthly reconciliations, remittances and payments.
Filing and documentation
- Support in management and keeping of accounting records, files and other documentation.
- Stamp “paid” on all paid payment vouchers and supporting documents
- Support the process to ensure accurate and adequate documentation and recording of WaterAid Nigeria income and expenditures.
- Support in internal controls
- Send monthly update to staff on status of staff advances
- Reconcile and explain all outstanding balance on staff debtor and creditor account.
- Support in partner financial management
- Support in processing of partner funds transfer
- Other roles as may be assigned.
Skills / Abilities / Personal Qualities
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work — Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships — Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Attention to details-Ability to follow precise procedures and complete routine tasks/activities without errors
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning — Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Judgment and Decision Making — Ability to use information and determine best fit option relative to costs and benefits of potential actions to determine most appropriate one option
- Initiative — willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Written and Oral Expression — Excellent ability to communicate information and ideas in writing and speaking so others will easily understand.
- Time Management — Managing one's own time and the time of others; Keen sense and appreciation of priorities and deadlines
- Flexibility-Ability to adapt to difficult situations (e.g. unforeseen change in context)
Qualifications and Experience
BSC or HND in Accounting or Business Administration or any social sciences
- Student membership of a professional accounting body ( ICAN, ACCA etc)
- Experience / Specific Knowledge
- Completion of National Youth Service Schem
- Basic computer skills Microsoft Word and Excel
Excellent computer skills particularly Microsoft Excel
Method of Application
Interested candidates are to forward their cover letter and curriculum vitae as a single word document by clicking the Apply Now button