If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
(Ref No. 0112_GWP16)
GWOZA / PULKA (BORNO STATE)
GWOZA / PULKA (BORNO STATE),
GWOZA / PULKA (BORNO STATE)
PSYCHOLOGIST & and MENTAL HEALTH ACTIVITY MANAGER,
MENTAL HEALTH ACTIVITY MANAGER
Mon – Fri 8am to 5.30pm
AS PER MSF SALARY SCALE (NATIONAL CONTRACT)
Scope of Responsibilities
Psychosocial and psycho-educative:
- counsellor will be responsible for the well running of the psycho-social and psycho-educative activities with beneficiaries presenting moderate symptomatology, as well as for promptly referring complex cases to other psychologist upon supervisory guidance by Psychologist or MHAM
- He/she works in cooperation with the psychologist and under the supervision of the MHAM to define activity plans to assist patients (children, adults, elders) in achieving more effective personal, social educational and vocational development and adjustment.
- Plans, organizes and participates in activities to facilitate the physical, mental or emotional rehabilitation or health of patients based on their abilities and acquired competencies (knowledge, skills, proper attitudes for MH work) for patient care.
Operational / Technical Responsibilities
- Activities Coordination
- Identify among the affected population people with psychological difficulties and difficult coping process
- Collaboration with the community health workers on a daily basis.
- Psychosocial assessment and support of victims of the affected population
- Provide daily counselling sessions in the location agreed (PHC’s or other location identified)
- Visit beneficiaries at home/tent/shelter in order to follow up evolution when required
- Provide individual and/or group counseling for population at risk (autonomously): support healthy coping process of the population and explore their inner resources for
- processing traumatic experiences and finding new life perspective
- Provide individual and/or group counseling for population at risk (with close follow-up and monitoring by MHS): assess difficult or severe symptomatology and explore a
- counseling intervention plan to mobilize inner resources for processing traumatic experiences and finding new life perspective
- Refer patients to other health professionals whenever necessary, with the supervision of the MHS
- Provide on-going feedback to the CHW about the quality of the referrals of patients
- Participate in weekly and monthly staff meetings and regular supervision sessions
- Participates in trainings, and supervision sessions as required, including regular on-the-job training and supervision by the team supervisor, and occasional external trainings.
Communication / Collaboration
Consults with other professionals to discuss counselling resources or techniques, to share occupational information.
Material / Equipment
- Responsible for the material needed for activities and storage
- Provide ongoing monitoring of beneficiaries’ status and maintain clinical files accurately
- Collect & submit data about sessions and counseling activities on daily basis
- Keeps written records:
(1) of individual patient assessment and care, including a brief final summary
(2) of group (i.e., family) activities.
Keeps statistics on all activities, as required by the MHAM, and provides these on the appropriate forms at the end of each month
- Experience in counseling, community and/or social work preferably
- Previous experience as a Psychosocial Counselor is an ass
- Previous experience working in the medical field, and with vulnerable population, all valuable but not essential
R – English R- Hausa R – Kanuri
F – Fluent | B – Basic | R – Required | A – An asset
- List of personal qualities required for the position, such as (not exhaustive):
- Good communication, listening and interpersonal skills
- Good understanding of what confidentiality entails and willingness to conform to confidentiality norms
- Capacity to swiftly adjust to changes
- Ability to work autonomously
- Capacity to activate as a team-member and support peers
- Rigorous, organized, disciplined
As a humanitarian organization involved in emergency programs, all national and international MSF staff is expected to be flexible and available for emergency response activities. S/he should be willing to undertake other tasks as necessary and not specified in the job description, supporting the mission activities in the response to potential emergencies and cover HR gaps or needs at field level.
go to method of application »
Place of Work: ABUJA
Working hours: Mon – Fri 8am to 5.30pm
Salary: As per the MSF salary scale (national contract)
Position in the organization chart:
Hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Head of Mission (HoM)
He/she will work in close collaboration with Head of Mission and other Coordinating Departments.
Main Objective of the position:
Provide support to the mission by assisting the Head of Mission in the administrative part of coordination tasks, ensuring a smooth relation with local and national authorities, contributing to the context analysis and follow-up, providing translations and interpreting in order to facilitate coordination of tasks in the mission.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist the Head of Mission (HOM) in the context analysis, disseminate relevant context information to the coordination team, regularly inform them on key issues, update general information on the context for MSF internal documents, and advise on cultural appropriateness of organisational activities and individual behaviours
- Keep good knowledge of counterparts in different administrations and file field contacts (other NGO’s, UN agencies, local authorities…) verifying that they are easily accessible in order to facilitate contacts and meetings?
- At the request of the HOM, represents MSF in meetings (NGO, official bodies, administration…).
- Ensure the follow up of relevant administrative dossiers such as the MSF registration in a country, working permits, immigration policies, national protocols, etc.
- At the request of the HOM, prepare and conduct an information briefing focusing on the country context for International, Regional and Relocated Staff.
- Translate documents and act as an interpreter when needed
- Communicates pro-actively all important/relevant news/information regarding the context of the Country to the coordination team
- Facilitates contacts and organizes appointments with national authorities and local partners.
- Compiles press reviews at the request of HOM and shares them with HOM, MCT and field teams.
- Keeps all the documents, reports, files updated, properly filed, and easy to access for the HOM and any other internal user when needed.
Legal and administrative issues
- Ensure ongoing researches on national protocols, keeps MCT informed on any changes and spread information in the field
- Compiles and summarizes data and information on specific questions at the request of the Head of Mission.
- Ensures the close follow up of key administrative issues as registration of MSF in the country, work permits, immigration, procedures for importing medicines
Translation and interpretation
- Translates documents for the head of mission as well as documents that are of general interest for the Management Coordination Team.
- Goes with the head of mission to meetings and translates for the HOM when needed.
Education: University level studies or similar
Languages: English, Hausa Language
Experience: Essential working experience of at least two years in relevant jobs
Desirable experience with MSF or other NGOs
Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (Word, Excel and Internet)
As a humanitarian organization involved in emergency programs all national and international MSF staff is expected to be flexible and available for emergency response activities. S/he should be willing to undertake other tasks as necessary and not specified in the job description, supporting the mission activities in the response to potential emergencies and cover HR gaps or needs at field level.
- English spoken and written and Hausa
- Good computer skills (excel, word, outlook is an advantage).
- Capacity to work as a team, respectful and good working attitude.
- Organization and planning skills, initiative and proactive.
- Committed to humanitarian principles.
- Due to the nature of MSF operations, flexibility is indispensable and unavoidable.
- Sensitive and respectful of religious and cultural differences:
- Identification with Humanitarian, Cross Cultural Awareness, Self-Control, Quality and Results Orientation, Commitment, Stress Management
Method of Application
All applicants should send a CV and motivation letter either by email to:
In person to MSF office, Road 131 House 10 Gwarinpa Housing Estate, Abuja