Standard Chartered Bank - We're a leading international bank, with more than a 150-year history in some of the world's most dynamic markets.
We bank the people and companies driving investment, trade and the creation of wealth across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
With 1,600 branches and offices in 70 countries, we offer exciting and challenging international career opportunities.
Manage, monitor and report the Bank's activities and procedures to ensure compliance with the regulatory requirements of the Nigeria Sustainability Banking Principles, namely:
- E& S Management System for Business Activities
- E&S Footprint Management for Business Operations
- Human Rights
- Women's Economic Empowerment
- Financial Inclusion
- E&S Governance
- Capacity Building
- Collaborative Partnerships and
- Oversee the co-ordination of the Sustainability Working Group to collate the required data across the Bank to prepare the regulatory returns to the Central Bank of Nigeria.
- Support the Group Sustainability team to meet the requirements of the Group Key Control Standards (KCS) as part of the Operational Risk Framework.
- Engage with the Brand team, internal business teams and support functions to further develop and deliver the Bank's Sustainability strategy aligned with the Bank's Here for Good brand promise.
- Ensure that the Bank's Sustainability strategy is articulated to internal and external stakeholders through key communication channels.
- Report the progress made regarding the Bank's Sustainability Strategy to the Management Team and the Board.
- Keep key stakeholders up to date on progress against key milestones.
- Give direction towards the achievement of the Bank's Sustainability Strategy, in line with the Group's Sustainability goals and objectives.
- Ensure the departmental heads are kept informed of industry developments which are relevant to the operation of an efficient sustainability function.
- Carry out any further tasks for which your qualifications & experience are suited as directed by the senior management.
- Responsible for identifying, assessing, monitoring, controlling and mitigating risks to the Group. Also, an awareness and understanding of the main risks facing the Group and the role the individual plays in managing them
- Identify the case for change regarding key issues impacting the region; assess whether there's a global or regional impact and respond accordingly
- Use data and factual evidence to drive and underpin day-to-day management actions and decision-making (including driving compliance, identifying opportunities for improvements and driving for gap resolutions)
- Responsible for assessing the effectiveness of the Group's arrangements to deliver effective governance, oversight and controls in the business and, if necessary, oversee changes in these areas
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
- Responsible for supporting 'effective governance';
Regulatory & Business conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Ensure effective compliance to the Central Bank's Assessment Criteria for Approved Persons' Regime for Financial Institutions
Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in Nigeria
Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Risk Officer
- Operational Risk Management
- Corporate Affairs
- Management Team
- Head, Sustainability & Community Engagement, AME
- Peers in the industry
- External contractors or companies
- Sustainability Consultants
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Qualifications and Skills
Knowledge and Skills
- Minimum of a second class degree from a reputable university.
- A Master's degree or professional qualification will be an added advantage.
- Relevant experience in Environmental and Social Risk Management.
- Good working knowledge of the Nigeria Sustainability Banking Principles of the CBN.
- Demonstrated experience managing networks and delivering programmes within diverse international organizations.
- Demonstrated experience managing stakeholder relationships and strong understanding of sustainability and corporate community investment.
- Excellent writing, communication (including public speaking), and project management skills.
- Ability to influence and communicate at all levels within an organisation, including executive level engagement.
- Commercial and pragmatic approach, dedicated to operational excellence.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines, with excellent time management skills.
- Experience working in or with the markets where the Bank operates across Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
- Role models ethical values and demonstrates a strong moral compass in all decision making
- Embraces matrix reporting lines
- Inculcates confidentiality
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Standard Chartered Bank career website on cgportal.global.standardchartered.com to apply