If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Palladium develops and delivers solutions that create positive impact for communities, businesses, societies and economies. We transform lives and create enduring value by working with governments, corporations and non-profit organisations.
We create positive impact through more than 100 current projects with more than 2000 employees operating in over 90 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Project Overview and Role
Propcom Mai-karfi is a £27 million, DFID-funded rural and agricultural market development programme with coverage across 19 states of northern Nigeria. The programme is a 6 year programme implemented from 2012 through to 2017. Propcom Mai-karfi aims to increase the incomes of 650,000 poor men and women in northern Nigeria (by March 2020) by: (a) stimulating sustainable, pro-poor growth in selected rural markets and, (b) improving the position of poor men and women within these market systems, to make them more inclusive for poor people. A further target is that of the total of 650,000 individuals impacted, 250,000 should be female.
The programme will enter its final year in 2017, and is currently preparing for an extension to build on the successes of the second phase and re-orientate to address critical livelihood issues in the North. There is consensus between DFID and the PM team that Phase III should focus on Climate Smart Agriculture, in order to improve the resilience of small-holder farmers and agricultural markets to the increasing effects of Climate Change. Propcom Mai-Karfi has the potential, through delivering a market systems approach, to enhance climate smart agriculture (CSA) in key sectors.
The Team Leader (TL) is responsible for the management of Propcom Mai-karfi and successful delivery of services as described in the client Head Contract. He/she will oversee the delivery of the final 12 months of the programme, and dependent upon approval by DFID, will continue in this role as part of the extension phase team.
- Head of the Programme Senior Management team comprising of the Senior Technical Advisor, Director of Operations and Markets Group Director.
- Ensure timely delivery of quality services and contractual commitments in the head contract.
- Ensure that the DFID head contract is adhered to by the Propcom Mai-karfi team.
- Management of programme risk within acceptable parameters agreed with Palladium and, where required, DFID.
- Liaise and support knowledge sharing with other Palladium programmes in Nigeria and elsewhere, and where appropriate with like-programmes managed by other contractors in Nigeria.
Oversee the strategy, planning and delivery of Propcom Mai-karfi including:
- Working with Markets Group Director to implement the consolidation and close-out strategy for the remaining 12 months of the Propcom Mai-Karfi programme.
- Work with the Markets Group Director, Senior Technical Advisor and Technical Manager to oversee the design, development and delivery of the extension phase, dependant on approval from DFID.
- Oversee the development of appropriate value-chain / market development strategies and interventions led by the Market Group Director.
- Oversee the development and implementation of appropriate procedures for results measurement and value for money analysis led by the Results Measurement Manager.
- Develop mechanisms for ensuring that DFID is carried along during the implementation phase at specific milestones, so that they are aware of the elements of significant decisions and general strategic direction.
Client Relationship Management and Reporting:
- Manage relationships with DFID to ensure agreement of the Programme’s strategy, plans and resource requirements, budget, and any amendments required to the head contract.
- Be receptive to new programming opportunities and ideas brought forward by DFID from time to time, but advising Palladium of potential threats and or opportunities for reviewing the Head Contract.
- Provide communication, information, briefings etc. as required by DFID.
- Lead the timely and accurate reporting to Palladium and DFID including production of inter alia, quarterly progress reports, annual reports, briefing papers in advance of OPR and MTR, etc.
- Oversee and ensure adequate reporting on Value for Money to DFID.
- Develop a mechanism for stakeholder consultation including client relationship building with key Nigerian government agencies at federal and state levels, prompting policy dialogue and policy influencing in respect of sustainable approaches to economic growth, and the potency of the M4P approach.
- Manage relationships with the Government of Nigeria, industry actors, business partners and Palladium programme implementing partners.
- Ensure adequate oversight of the implementation of Propcom Mai-karfi by any third-parties (e.g. Technoserve).
- Coordinate with, represent and promote the Programme with external stakeholders including other DFID programmes, programmes of donor and government agencies, business member organisations, etc.
- Represent and promote the legitimate commercial interests of Palladium.
- Undertake effective relationship building with private sector operatives who are active in the programme environment, and who are willing to invest in the sector.
- Develop and oversee the capacity of the Propcom Mai-karfi team and manage their performance in line with Palladium Human Resource policies
- Ensure adequate planning of human resource personnel required for Propcom Mai-karfi, including both short-term and long-term staff, international and national.
- Develop TOR for programme staff, brief and advise Palladium Recruitment Unit on requirements and facilitate the interview and selection process.
- Support identification and transition to a successor at an agreed time.
- Line manage the Market Groups Director, Director of Operations, Senior Technical Adviser (Livestock), Results Measurement Manager, Gender and Women’s Economic Empowerment Manager, Climate Change Specialist, and any other staff as required.
Financial Management and Procurement:
- Primary responsibility for the use of reimbursable financial project resources in Nigeria, excluding lines associated with Palladium expenditure.
- Resource allocation decisions, including the choice and use of personnel and development of budget variations, to be made based on a consideration of past and future commercial project performance and the need to achieve and improve on corporate income targets.
- Oversight of annual project forecast, and reviewing monthly forecast updates as prepared by the Director of Operations.
- Responsible for ensuring the project demonstrates good value for money.
- Support the preparation and delivery to DFID of budget variations and contract amendments
- Minimise financial risk to Palladium and DFID and ensure project performs satisfactorily in internal and external audits.
- Ensure Operations Manager and where appropriate Project Director is made aware of all issues arising which have contract or budget significance.
- Respond to requests for information or action on specific issues by Operations Manager.
- Oversight of in-country cash, including the review and approval of monthly fund transfer requests and weekly field vouchers, and ensuring programme cash holdings are appropriate.
- Provide oversight of programme administration led by the Director of Operations and Operations manager.
- Business processes and administrative procedures include: The Programme Operations Manual; Safety and Security procedures; Vehicle management; Asset management (including asset register); Procurement policy and processes; Risk Register and Office rental and management.
- A minimum of 10 years' relevant experience in agricultural and rural development, this experience can include working for an agribusiness.
- Experience as a Team Leader on a large agriculture development programme.
- Demonstrable experience delivering agricultural M4P programming.
- Relevant experience delivering development projects in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Work experience in West Africa and specifically Nigeria is preferred.
- A demonstrated understanding of Climate Smart Agriculture is preferred.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Palladium Group career website on palladiumhr.secure.force.com to apply