Logistics Manager at Save the Children Nigeria
Posted on: 28 November, 2016
Deadline: 30 November, 2016
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Save The Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
- The Humanitarian Logistics Manager is responsible to support and guide Humanitarian Logistics team, coordinate Humanitarian Emergency procurements; timely delivery of supplies and services to affected areas; ensuring Donor and SCI policies, procedures and guidelines on logistics are adhered; necessary technical and professional supports are made to program / project managers on logistics related matters across the country on Humanitarian Emergency projects.
- The post holder will also be responsible for the overall coordination and implementation of an effective procurement, fleet, warehousing and asset management practices for all the humanitarian responses in country.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: - Area Operations Manager with dotted line reporting to Head of Logistics. During deployment to Area/Field Manager.
- Staff directly reporting to this post: Humanitarian Logistics Coordinator and officers in the field during deployment.
- Key Working Contacts: Country Supply Chain Manager, Country Fleet Coordinator, Logistics Coordinator, Field Operations staff and Programme Managers and other support function.
Key Areas of Accountabilities
Coordination and Planning:
- Develop, establish and implement long term strategies for professional and cost effective humanitarian supply chain management in the areas of planning, procurement, fleet management, warehousing and stock management, as well as asset management, in line with SCI policies and regulations
- Plan and implement an effective emergency purchase order management and tracking system at country office as well as at response area level and organize schedules for bulk and economical purchases
- Directly involved in the operational planning and proposal development, mainly the logistical aspect of the projects which includes budgeting, procurement and project implementation planning, etc
- Organize the movement of food and non- food aid resources from the SCI’s or Donor’s warehouse to the intended beneficiaries, and monitor the volume of relief cargo uplifted to the different humanitarian project sites and inform the positions.
- Work in close cooperation with humanitarian team and programme managers concerned to ensure timely and cost efficient movements of all emergency goods from warehouses to the final distribution sites.
- Establish and maintain communication links between Abuja and field offices to ensure appropriate and regular information flow on all relief supply requests received as well as to ensure that the requests get the right items at the right time and at the right place.
- Develop the logistical aspects of the programme emergency preparedness plan, in co-ordination with Humanitarian team programme management, throughout the country of operation and train logistic staff in managing emergencies.
- Support program/ project heads in developing project proposals and procurement and distribution plans of humanitarian emergencies and ensure logistics components are suitably included.
- Support the Humanitarian Director to implement SCI Logistics Procedures and rollout Country Logistics Procedure (CLP) in the emergency area of operations specifically in Borno state and in other state if any thing happens.
- Ensure emergency and prepositioned stock management and administration systems are implemented throughout the programme. Monitor projects emergency stock levels and advise on appropriate stocking and replenishment to meet project demands.
- Ensure that SCI’s logistics standards and systems are fully addressed and procedures are adhered as per the guideline of warehousing, supply/stock movement control, freight management, asset management, as well as documentation, filling and reporting mechanisms are to the standard and fully implemented
- Responsible for preparing monthly reporting on all emergency supply activities based on the requirement defined by the Supply Chain Manager, the programme managers responsible for the relief programme and donor requirements.
- Work with logistics department on reporting the actual stocks, expected arrivals, planned deliveries and all relevant information on commodity warehouse activities on a monthly basis to the Supply Chain Manager.
- Regularly review programmes humanitarian logistical requirements and ensure that programme works are carried out in the most efficient and cost effective manner
- Undertake regular visits to all areas and field offices and asses the level of compliance with the guidelines and procedures provide recommendations for improvements where applicable.
- Assigned in the most affected humanitarian intervention area permanently if there is no major humanitarian response in other locations.
- Directly lead, manage and motivate Humanitarian Logistics team. Ensuring that they have clear work plans and objectives and receive regular supervision and reviews, and Build up their capacity through the use of effective training, performance management frameworks and development plan. Provide technical leadership to logistics staff in the field offices within the area of operations.
- Assess capacity gaps, provide trainings for Logistics team, and provide technical advice to the Head of Logistics.
- Ensure monthly reporting systems are implemented across the field offices under the Hub structure in line with SCI Logistics Procedures for Procurement, stock, vehicles and assets. Review the monthly logistics reports and advise field offices and programmes where there are irregularities or areas of concern that need follow up
- Preparing a monthly Humanitarian ‘Logistics Report’ to the HOL & Humanitarian Director , during deployment also include Area Operations Manager or Field Manager detailing all logistical activities including procurement trackers, vehicle performance & fuel, stock reporting, asset register updates, staff issues, and other relevant information;
Qualifications and Experience
- Recommended a minimum of 5 years in Humanitarian Logistics management experience in NGO environment, including significant field operations experience running both development and emergency programs
- BA/BSc degree or equivalent in Management, Development Studies or other Social Sciences
- Diploma/certificate courses in Logistics and Supply Chain strongly preferred.
- A good understanding of Basic service programs and a working knowledge of the Country program priorities
- Substantial experience in logistics, including procurement, supply chain, fleet management & inventory
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams in the event of major emergencies
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively in country
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Save The Children career website on savethechildrenng.simplicant.com to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Save The ChildrenSimilar Jobs
- Job Vacancies at The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- Advocacy and Communications Officer at Action Against Hunger | AAH-International
- Procurement Roles at the North East Regional Initiative (NERI) Nigeria
- Admin Manager at Mines Advisory Group (MAG International)
- Job Vacancies at Oxfam Nigeria
- Head of Business Development at Save the Children Nigeria
- Human Resources Coordinator at Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA)
- Fresh Jobs at the International Organization for Migration (IOM)