The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC has recently started up with emergency activities in the area of Food Security, Water and Sanitation, Shelter and ICLA sectors in Nigeria in order to respond to the urgent humanitarian needs in the northeast.
In the coming year, one of NRC’ main focus will be to provide the displacement affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local host communities including IDP camps in Borno State and the north-east with adequate WaSH, Food Security, Shelter, ICLA amongst other durable solutions. NRC is therefore seeking a Project Coordinator – WaSH in NRC Field Office in Maiduguri - Nigeria. The Project coordinator WaSH reports to the Programme Development Manager - WASH, Nigeria.
- Adherence to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines, policies and procedures and other NRC tools and handbooks;
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy;
- Contribute with wash specific technical competence to the development of wash strategy, Micro LogFrame, and Plan of Action;
- Contribute with wash specific technical competence to programme development, adjustment or review;
- Conduct wash specific technical assessment and present recommendations;
- Conduct wash specific technical research and document findings and recommendations;
- Provide wash specific technical input to coordination mechanism (e.g. cluster coordination) and working groups;
- Develop wash specific technical indicators and mechanism for M&E;
- Develop wash specific technical guidance, tools and mechanism;
- Contribute to organisational learning through the provision specific technical analysis, lessons learned and reports;
- Develop training modules and provide specific technical learning or/and training for project staff;
- Provide training to relevant stakeholders Performs other duties as and when required.
- The Coordinator is expected to achieve the following during this contract period;
- WASH infrastructure construction;
- Hygiene promotion within IDP and Host communities;
- Preparing weekly, monthly progress reports and others documents required for the donor;
- Performs any other duties as requested by the WASH Program Development Manager.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience from working with wash projects in a humanitarian/recovery context. Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous 2 years’ work experience in community based water, Sanitation programs; Work experience with an NGO is desirable
- Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements and protocols
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of water Hygiene and Sanitation service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Must have previous experience in training and Training of Trainers.
- Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
- Must be willing to work as a team member, take direction, and share technical skills with colleagues and counterparts
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required,
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, Arc Gis and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Must be able to work under pressure
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context of Northeast Nigeria
- Experience with start-up activities
- Experience Hygiene promotion in choleras outbreak context within the host communities and camps
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Strategic thinking and analysing
- Planning and delivering results
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
Commencement: As soon as possible
Contract period: 12 Months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
Duty station: Maiduguri, Borno State with 50% to field visit
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate can submit their application letter, copy of a valid national identification (National Passport, Driver’s License, National Identity Card or Voter’s Card) and an updated CV to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The title of the position (Project Coordinator - WaSH - Maiduguri) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Any application received after the deadline will not be considered).
• Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• Please note that to apply at NRC is FREE!!!
• NRC does not ask for money or any form of favor for submission of application or employment.
The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position