Accion is an innovator in financial access, pioneering many of the best practices and emerging standards in the industry. It provides a full range of management services, technical assistance and training, as well as investment and governance support to help financial institutions build institutional capacity and financial strength in order to serve low-income households on a broad scale. Over the past 50 years, Accion has helped to build and strengthen some of the most successful microfinance institutions (MFIs) in the world.
Today, Accion works with 29 partners and one majority-owned institution in 21 countries in the Americas, Africa and Asia. Our staff of full-time microfinance experts – one of the world’s largest – includes specialists based in the United States and in our regional offices in Bogota, Bangalore, Accra and Beijing, as well as advisors and managers living in-country and working side by side with local management. Our field-based teams are supported by a highly skilled research and development department, as well as by experts in financial markets.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the successful candidate will support the MD and will have overall responsibility for the formulation and execution of the company's strategy for the consumer and commercial banking market segment in line with the business objectives agreed by the Board.
- Lead the identification of target market segments and develop strategies for growth.
- Provide strategic input and direction for the development of performance targets, including on-going monitoring to ensure achievement of set targets.
- Build the organizational structures and business teams to maximize productivity and performance.
- Ensure business compliance with company's policies, procedures and corporate governance expectations.
- Participate in projects geared towards new products/ service development and or product / service enhancement by giving appropriate guidance on required checks, controls, processes and procedures in line with leading practices within the sector.
- Supervise assigned division/departments to achieve efficient, productive and profitable portfolio growth in line with corporate strategy.
- Facilitate and present periodic business performance review reports to the Board.
- Participate in other Executive Management Committees and other related tasks.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelors degree, preferably in Economics, Business Administration, Accountancy, etc. or related field.
- A post-graduate degree or its equivalent in any discipline is required.
- Relevant professional qualifications/affiliations.
- A minimum of 15 - 20 years diverse experience (i.e. banking, insurance, microfinance, etc.) as well as experience in multi-functional roles within the industry.
- Minimum of 10 years senior management experience within the financial services industry.
- Prior microfinance experience is desirable, particularly within a microfinance bank from an international network.
- Attendance at relevant development programs such as those listed below would be an added advantage:
- Boulder Institute of Microfinance Training
- Harvard Business School-Accion Program on Strategic Leadership in Inclusive Finance
- School of African Microfinance
- Prior board-level experience/ experience reporting to a board/ board committee.
- Strong communication skills.
- Fluency in English.
Competency/ Skill Requirements
- Knowledge and understanding of the Nigerian financial services market.
- Prior experience leading functions such as:
- Banking Operations
- Finance/Risk Management
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Good product development and portfolio management capabilities.
- Excellent customer relationship development/management skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial financial products.
- Ability to think strategically and holistically and to appreciate the systemic impact of various policies, issues and solutions.
- Must have a high sense of responsibility, accountability, integrity and ethical standards.
- Must have strong business acumen, maturity and tact, including the ability to relate with highest levels of management of financial institutions.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to ACCION Microfinance Bank career website on jobs-accion.icims.com to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.