The Danish Refugee Council / Danish Demining Group (DRC/DDG) has been operational in West Africa since 1998. Our aim is to contribute to the peace and stabilization, protection and promotion of durable solutions to crisis affected populations in the region. The overall strategic objective of the programme is to support peace and stabilization, protect and promote durable solutions to conflict affected populations in Nigeria, Liberia, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinée, and Mali on the basis of humanitarian principles and fundamental human rights.
DRC/DDG operations are focused on Yola and Mubi in Adamawa State and Maiduguri in Borno State and from there we will focus on meeting the basic needs (protection, MRE, WASH, food security, livelihood and NFI/shelter) of urban caseloads as well as supporting outreach to affected areas and displacement camps.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
About the Job
- The role advises management on strategic HR issues, and leads and coordinates the implementation of HR activities throughout the country, in line with DRC’s global and regional HR policies and procedures.
- You will ensure the proper set-up and staffing of the HR function to deliver effective services to managers.
- The position is the senior-most HR function in the country. You will report to the Country Director and coordinate work planning and activities closely with the Regional HR Manager for West Africa and/or the International HR Team in HQ.
- You will have a dotted-line supervision role for all national staff with HR responsibilities.
In particular, you will have the following responsibilities:
- People planning: advise management on planning to ensure proper forecasting of staff needs (profiles, numbers, etc.), and succession planning.
- Recruitment: implement global/regional recruitment guidelines, lead recruitment for select positions (discussed and agreed with Regional HR Manager and management), ensure systems are in place for onboarding of new staff
- Performance: support managers to implement probation period management feedback and annual appraisals, implementing global and regional guidelines. Advise managers to deal effectively with poor performance. Escalate cases, as necessary, to HQ (contract owners for expats).
- Development: Support and advise management on development opportunities for expatriate and national staff, in line with global and regional guidelines.
- Well-Being: Ensure tailoring and implementation of global and regional well-being guidelines and policies for R&R, staff housing and working conditions.
- Contract management, compensation and benefits: Ensure compliance with local labor laws and creation of national HR manual that is compliant with local law and DRC rules and regulations. Implement regional payroll system within country. Ensure contract management procedures in place for national staff.
- Compliance: Monitor compliance with global and regional HR policies and procedures, and report non-compliance to management, and Regional HR Manager.
- Disciplinary Measures: In case of misconduct ensure that an appropriate response is defined and that it will be based on an investigation clarifying responsibility and reason for misconduct.
- At least 3 years of experience in HR management, out of which at least 1 in international position;
- At least 1 year experience working with an international humanitarian or development organization; preferably in the field.
- Demonstrable strategic HR experience (global workforce planning, development of HR processes);
- Experience in working in complex, fast-changing and volatile contexts;
- Excellent management, interpersonal and negotiation skills and a demonstrated ability to promote harmonious/cohesive teamwork, in a cross cultural context;
- Proven ability to plan long-term, organized priorities and work under administrative and programmatic pressures with detail orientation and professional grace;
- Highly collaborative and able to establish positive working relationships with senior level management and all other stakeholders to maximize cooperation and productivity;
- Strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
- Experience working in Nigeria and/or West Africa
All employees should master DRC's core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- Expatriate Contract
- Contract length: 1 year
- Level: A14
- Designation of Duty Station: The position is based in Abuja, Nigeria, with travel expected within the country (around 30%). This is an unaccompanied position within a non-family duty station.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates
Method of Application
- All applicants must send a Cover letter and an updated CV's (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
- If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact: email@example.com
Interested and qualified? Go to Danish Refugee Council (DRC) career website on candidate.hr-manager.net to apply