The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
Job Number: 501193
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Purpose of the Position
- The humanitarian situation in north east Nigeria requires a rapid scale-up, as some populations who have were trapped in Boko Haram controlled areas become accessible, and the desperate situation becomes visible. The epicenter of this crisis is Borno state, where over 1.4 million people are displaced as a result of Boko Haram.
- In addition to this, UNICEF Nutrition program is scaling up its program in the States of Yobe,, Bauchi, Gombe and Adamawa, also confronted to a severe Nutrition crisis.
- UNICEF recently increases its warehousing capacity in Bauchi (1,000 sqm) and intend to develop its logistics operation in Bauchi to support the North East crisis, with a specific focus on the management and distribution of nutrition and health supplies to Yobe, Bauchi, Gombe and Adamawa state.
- Under the direct supervision of the Supply Manager, and in direct support to the Nutrition and health programs, manage logistics operations of a large-scale emergency response in Bauchi. Responsible for logistics operations and support to strengthening Government systems to delivery of nutrition and health supplies from state medical stores to LGAs and health facilities including planning, coordination of incoming shipments, warehousing. Advises on all matters within logistics.
- Plans design and implements appropriate logistics systems including warehousing and in-country transport capacity, including establishment of Long Term Arrangements and frame agreements for transport and distribution as might be required.
- Ensures appropriate processes and systems are in place to ensure efficiency of the logistics operations.
- Ensures appropriate planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of logistics operations.
- Supervise warehousing operations and ensure accountability on stocks.
- Establishes routing and scheduling plans for in country distribution.
- Coordinates incoming shipments planning with Lagos logistics team and other logistics.
- Plan deliveries with UNICEF programs.
- Organise and coordinate transport operations.
- Set systems for the timely delivery and replenishment of supplies, specifically nutrition and health supplies in coordination with concerned programs.
- Conduct supply chain assessments and end user monitoring, jointly with Programs.
- Raises logistics bottlenecks to supervisor for prioritisation.
- Ensure regular and timely transmission of pipeline, logistics monitoring information, stock levels and distribution status to programmes and logistics focal point at national level.
- Jointly with the nutrition team in Bauchi, and in close coordination with the Supply team. support to strengthening Government systems to delivery of nutrition and health supplies from state medical stores to LGAs and health facilities
- Work with Government, NGO and UNICEF program staff to ensure that no facility level stock-outs of RUTF occur.
- Any other duty as might be required by the supervisor.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree from a recognised academic institution in one or more of the following areas is preferred: Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, Management, International Economics, Engineering, International Development, Contract/Commercial Law, or areas directly related to logistics operations or UNICEF programme areas.
- First University degree combined with demonstrated professional work experience and understanding of relevant functions may be considered in lieu of advanced university degree, preferably combined with credited courses or certifications from relevant professional bodies in supply chain management, procurement, contracting or logistics.
- First university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels in logistics management. Number of years and required complexity of experience will depend on the complexity of the specific assignment.
- Fluency in English. Second UN language is an advantage.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Drive for Result
- Working with People
- Leading and Supervising
- Deciding and Initiating Actions
- Planning and Organizing
Skills and knowledge
- Ability to work strategically to realise organisational goals, develop strategies, set clear visions.
- Ability to persuade and influence, negotiate to obtain agreement, promote ideas.
- Ability to network and establish good relations with staff, partners and government.
- Strong overall knowledge and understanding of UNICEF programmes, financial and legal aspects of supply chain issues, ethics and risk management of supply chain operations.
Method of Application
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
- Please note that is a non-family duty station.
Interested and qualified? Go to UNICEF career website on www.unicef.org to apply