The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Grade: A2 (L)
Type of Position: Permanent
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Political
Main Purpose of Job
- This is an interesting and varied job working in the Executive Office in the heart of the British High Commission.
- The main focus is on providing an excellent level of administrative support to the Deputy High Commissioner and the wider Political section of the High Commission, collaboration with the High Commissioner’s PA over the collective output of the HC and DHC, ensuring the smooth running of the diplomatic bag service, and IT support on the Commission’s Official-Sensitive tier.
- The job also includes management of two members of staff.
Roles and Responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve
PA to Deputy High Commissioner:
- Managing the Deputy High Commissioner’s diary and daily itinerary
- Managing DHC’s inbox, sending messages and emails on behalf of the Deputy High Commissioner
- Receiving, dealing with and prioritising meeting requests from both internal and external stakeholders
- Receiving official correspondence and drafting replies
- Recording meetings and drafting minutes
- Preparing briefing notes and packs for meetings
- Planning and organising receptions and dinners hosted by the Deputy High Commissioner
Wider Executive Office Tasks:
- Collaborating with the High Commissioner’s EA to manage the combined activity and output of the HC and DHC, including diary coordination, internal communications and liaising with Residence Manager
- Support EA/HC during busy periods
- Covering for EA during leave absence
Diplomatic bags and customs clearance:
- Sending and receiving UK and Lagos diplomatic bags
- Sorting and distributing UK diplomatic bags
- Arranging all pre clearance paperwork for diplomatic bags
- Provide technical IT support to staff on the restricted and confidential tier (IT training provided)
Political Section/General support:
- Providing general support to the political team as well as other teams in Chancery
- Drafting official Notes Verbales to Government institution
- Assist with setting up calls, meetings and events when required
- Manage Chancery reception area and two receptionists
- Ensuring smooth running of Chancery transport pool and booking systems with the Receptionists
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Manage 2 x part-time A1(L) Chancery Receptionists.
- Oversee the DHC’s entertainment and travel budgets.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- The High Commission is looking for a candidate with previous office experience, with strong IT and technical skills, as well as PA skills.
- The ability to speak and write in clear, correct, jargon-free English is essential
- Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Starting monthly salary: NGN 360,778
Start Date 1st December, 2016.
Method of Application
- Please complete the application form in full.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that you do not meet the requirements for the position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework (Please refer to AO grade on UK Civil Service Framework)
- Successful candidates not resident in Nigeria will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.
- The candidate must be a British passport holder who already has or is able to obtain UK Security Clearance, or another national who has recently lived at least five consecutive years in the UK and may be eligible to obtain UK Security Clearance.
- The candidate must also provide evidence that they have permission to work for the British Deputy High Commission in Nigeria (i.e. that they are a Nigerian passport holder; or hold a Nigerian work permit that allows them to work for a diplomatic mission).
- Any applicant who does not provide evidence of this will be sifted out at the first stage.
Interested and qualified? Go to British High Commission career website on fco.tal.net to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.