Africa Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is the umbrella organization for applied epidemiology training, programs in Africa. It oversees the Field Epidemiology (and Laboratory) Training Programs (FETP) in 16 countries of Africa. FETP is modeled after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS). The main objective of AFENET through its FETP is to build and offer epidemiological services in the country for strengthening public health systems particularly disease surveillance and response, The program is partly funded by the US President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). AFENET's current focus is on interventions for the control of priority diseases in Nigeria, including HIV/AIDS.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
- The frican Field Epidemiology Network (AFNET) is a not for profit, networking alliance and service organization that brings together field epidemiology training programs (FETPs) across Africa working side by side with Ministries of Health, regional and international partners.
- AFENET works to strengthen epidemiologic and disease surveillance capabilities of Africa countries that are critical to meeting the requirements of the integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) strategy, and the International Health Regulations (IHR).
- Established in 2005, AFENET has supported more than 20 African countries across sub-Saharan Africa advance their capabilities in early detection and response to infectious and non infectious diseases.
Areas of Support Include:
- Training of the public health workforce in field epidemiology. More than 600 have graduated from 2- year FETP programs, and over 300 are in training across 16 programs.
- Public health laboratory practice and vacdnology.
- Development of laboratory quality management systems.
- Review, strengthening and maintenance of disease surveillance systems. Epidemic investigation and response among others.
- With supportfrorn multiple donors, AFENET’s annual revenues are in excess of USD 15 million.
- AFENET is seeking to hire a new Executive Director to consolidate and build on this momentum.
- A Medical Officer (MD), a Veterinary Doctor (DVM) or a Laboratory Scientist (PhD) with at least an MPH in Field Epidemiology or an equivalent Degree;
- Must be fluent in English. A good knowledge of French, and or Portuguese will be a strong positive.
- Interested candidates should have excellent leadership skills, with strong interpersonal and communication abilities, leading teams from different cultural backgrounds and a track record of strengthening health systems in developing countries.
- He/she should have at least 8 years of experience in a public health setting, 5 of which must be at middle or top executive level; should have work experience in Africa; a strong track record in winning grants from multiple donors; experience in coordinating and managing multi-country projects; a good track record in delivering on objectives and demonstrated Sound strategic leadership and effective operational and financial management skills.
Salary and benefits are very competitive and commensurate with experience.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit their resumes, application letters, and relevant documentation to "Chair, Human Resource Committee" via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; copied to Chair, Board of Directors on e-mail: email@example.com
Click here for full description
- Applicants should clearly state any restrictions they have from previous employments to take up the advertised position.
- Only successful candidates shall be contacted for an interview.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.