As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
For our operations in Nigeria/Abuja, we are looking for a
Component Manager (m/f) Local Governance & Reconstruction of the project 'Support to the internally displaced and resilience of host communities in the north and north-east of Nigeria'
Field of activity
The project will be financed by the Bundesministerium für wirtschaftliche Zusammenarbeit und Entwicklung (BMZ) and the European Union (EU). The project’s purpose is to improve the living conditions of internally displaced persons (IDP), the population in host communities and of IDPs returning to their communities of origin in north-eastern Nigeria.
The project will be active predominantly in informal IDP camps and host communities and communities of origin of IDPs. It promotes the linkage of rehabilitation and development. The aims of the project are to stabilize living conditions in the IDP population and population of host communities, allow the resumption of social and economic life of IDPs while they return to their communities of origin as well as the rehabilitation and reconstruction of these communities.
Access to education, to health services, to energy, water and sanitation, the rehabilitation built infrastructure, the recapitalization of destroyed agricultural production materials, social transfers and the revival of local economy are examples for areas of intervention. For the rehabilitation and reconstruction in communities of origin, the project will apply a community based and participative approach to draft community development plans.
- Implementation of the component 'Support to host communities and communities of return - improvement of services’
- Provide technical advice and strategic management support with a focus on program quality and efficient and transparent management structures
- Designing and adjusting the strategy and technical content of the component and coordination of its content and implementation schedules according to context dynamics
- Maintain regular communication with relevant units to ensure quality programming
- Cooperation, coordination and harmonization with other components of the project, advising on local governance, civil society development, service delivery and access to justice
- Oversee program activities to ensure their compliance with the ‘do no harm’ principal
- Maintain strong relationships with relevant partners and officials
- Develop, maintain, manage and/or initiate partnerships with community based organizations, NGOs and Government Ministries as well as local administrations to support programming
- Establish and/or maintain coordination mechanisms at provincial level
- Steering and executing the budget of the component
- Conceptual preparation for and processing of needs analysis into intervention designs
- Preparation and implementation of tenders and procurement processes, especially in the field construction (schools, health services, housing, community centers, water systems, etc.)
- Conflict-sensitive monitoring and quality control of the implementation of measures and commissioned implementations
- Contributing to the annual or bi-annual report of the programme
- Leadership of national and international staff
- At least three years’ experience in the humanitarian/development (specific expertise in Common Agricultural Policy of the EU, Common but Differentiated Responsibility, Commission of Sustainable Development, community reconciliation and/or reintegration would be an advantage)
- Master’s degree in Development studies, Political Science, International Relations, International Law, Gender and Development; Governance and Development or another related field
- Good knowledge in project and commission management
- Familiar with implementation of EU co-financed projects
- Experienced in the monitoring of large and complex projects
- Experience in complex emergency or humanitarian contexts; IDP/refugee experience desirable
- Knowledgeable about development-oriented emergency and transitional aid
- Strong advisory skills, intercultural sensitivity and diplomacy
- Experienced and versant in applying measures to strengthen resilience
- Experience in cooperation with government authorities and civil society organizations
- Experience in leading teams
- Ready to travel frequently into high-risk areas
- Fluent in English and German
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to GIZ Nigeria career website on www.giz.de to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale