Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours. Please give monthly and support our mission.
Save the Children is working to strengthen health systems and support maternal and child health in four northern states. Much work needs to be done for Nigeria to deliver its promises on Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 (which aim to reduce child mortality and improve maternal health) before 2015.
To provide support to the implementation of Nutrition component of project. To support the Nutrition Program Officers (NO), breastfeeding counsellors of the Infant and Young Child Feeding in Emergency (IYCF-E) and Community management of malnutrition Programme. On a day to day basis, to assist the NO in ensuring that all data from the programme are documented properly, entered into the M & E framework, providing quality to the nutrition work through respecting guidelines and principles of good practice (Operational Guidance on Infant and Young Child Feeding in Emergencies, and Guiding Principles for Feeding Infant and Young Children in Emergencies, WHO 2004).
- Working closely with the NO and/or other senior programme staff, support timely programme reports on project activities in compliance with internal SC requirements.
- With support from the NO and/or other senior programme staff, identify programme supplies needs for health facilities, Breast feeding corners and coordinate with the logistics team to put in place a sensible delivery plan.
- With the support of NO, support project implementation to ensure timely delivery of project activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans).
- Support field level technical assessments in coordination with the Nutrition response lead and other SC thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs.
- Support the development, facilitation and scheduling of volunteer outreach activities.
- Work with NO, IYCF Nurses, Breastfeeding Counsellors and Community Mobilizers, develop monthly work plans for the Child Friendly Shelters.
- Compile weekly/ monthly nutrition data/ reports and submit to Nutrition Coordinator
- Assist with stock consumption/distribution plans for each of the HFs as required.
- Work closely with NOs to strengthen technical reporting in accordance with defined reporting schedule and program indicators
- Track program progress using mutually agreed indicators, targets, and recommend remedial action to keep programs on course
- Contribute to and support the maintenance of an updated data base of nutrition, technical and program reports including site visits, monthly reports, quarterly and annual reports
- Facilitate cross sectoral programming, particularly to promote excellent communication and referral between IYCF-E, CMAM, FSL and CP programming.
- With support from the Monitoring & Evaluation team support the M & E plan implementation within the Nutrition projects, ensuring this links to reporting requirements.
- Work closely with partners and their staff to ensure project activities are implemented in time and within the stipulated quality.
- To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Health / Public Health / Nutrition / BSc or equivalent
- At least 1-2 years of experience working in a humanitarian setting
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions
- Prepared to live and work in an uncertain security environment
- Fluency in written and spoken English and local languages
- Demonstrable ability at report writing
- Ability and willingness to frequently visit the field
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles
- Experience and ability to represent Save the Children's nutrition work in external meetings
- Demonstrable ability at report writing and excellent communication skills
- Computer literate
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Save The Children career website on savethechildrenng.simplicant.com to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.