The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems.
The University offers an American – style education modelled after the curriculum of American universities with corresponding approaches to teaching and students assessment. The first entering class of 124 students and 20 professors was enrolled in September 2005. In ten years, AUN is fast becoming a model for other universities in Nigeria and West Africa.
The American University of Nigeria, Yola, is seeking for Economics/Civic Education Teacher. This position is local position and opens to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria.
Department: Charter School
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Economics/Civic Education Teacher will work towards the achievement of the purpose and aims of the charter school through the delivery of effective teaching, leading to high quality learning for students in Economics and Civic Education. Also, he/she will be charged with the responsibility of creating a classroom environment that develops in each student an awareness of his/her civic roles and responsibilities in accordance with the mission and vision of the school.
DETAILED LISTING OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To assist in the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, making policies and teaching strategies in the subject area of civic education
- To contribute to the implementation and improvement of a plan in the subject area
- To plan and prepare courses and lessons and ensure a high quality of learning experience for the students on being a responsible citizen of their countries.
- To make students aware of their rights and duties to constituted authorities.
- To communicate, as appropriate, with the parents of students and with persons or bodies outside the school concerned with the welfare of individual students after consultation with the Executive Director AUN Schools.
- To assess, record and report on the attendance, progress, development and attainment of students and to keep such records as are required
- To use a variety of delivery methods that will stimulate learning appropriate to students’ needs and the demands of the relevant syllabus
- To maintain discipline in accordance with the school’s procedures and to encourage good practice with regard to punctuality, behavior, and standards of work.
- To ensure that the classroom provides a positive learning environment including the use of stimulating displays
- To take part in the staff development program
- To continue personal development in relevant areas including subject knowledge and teaching methods
- To review from time to time methods of teaching and programs of work
- To maintain appropriate records and to provide relevant accurate and up to date information in the tracking of students and their performance
- To communicate effectively with the parents of students as appropriate
- To cooperate with other staff to ensure a sharing and effective use of resources to the benefit of the school and the students.
- To actively promote schools’ policies and continue personal development as agreed
- To undertake any other duties as specified by the supervisor.
Requirements for the position:
- A B.Ed from a recognized tertiary institution in a relevant field
- A Post-Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) would be a plus.
- Three (3) to five (5) years teaching experience.
- Possess high level interpersonal communication skills.
- Use of instructional technology for teaching and learning.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Employees are expected to be courteous to colleagues and provide a welcoming environment to visitors and telephone callers.
Description of Benefits:
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Method of Application
Suitably qualified candidates should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to email@example.com before the closing date of this publication. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, colour, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion and marital status. For information on AUN, visit our Web site at www.americanuniversitynigeria.org
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.