Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on vulnerable children, agriculture, health and HIV, extractives and governance, and peace building programming. CRS is expanding its activities in the North-East in the area of Food Security, Nutrition, Non-food items, Water and Sanitation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Requisition Number: I3197
Area of Interest: Other
Position Type: Full Time
Hours Per Week: 40
Full Time or Part Time: full
Regular, Short Term OR Temporary: Regular
- The WASH and Shelter Program Manager will manage the WASH and Shelter integrated program in which water, sanitation, hygiene promotion and shelter activities are strongly linked.
- The WASH and Shelter PM will line manage a Water, Sanitation & Shelter Team Leader and a Hygiene Promotion Team Leader.
- The WASH and Shelter PM will ensure that the established Emergency WASH and Shelter Strategy is followed and will adapt it when necessary according to changing context requirements in consultation with Nigeria Country Program and Global WASH and Shelter Advisors from CRS Humanitarian Response Department.
Key Job Responsibilities
Program Quality and Management:
- In coordination with the Operation Manager and as per CRS standard procedures identify and assess contractors, construction suppliers, vendors of WASH and Shelter NFI’s, prepare contracts and documentation for works.
- In collaboration with the Emergency Coordinator and Operations Manager, prepare contracts and documentation for works.
- Ensure together with TL’s execution of those contracts and that market based approaches are implemented whenever possible for water supply and WASH/Shelter NFI’s.
- Liaise with CRS Procurement and Logistics to ensure that material procurement is delivered according to program needs, ensure that market assessments of vendors and contractors is done following CRS.
- Together with the Water, Sanitation and Shelter Engineering Team Leader ensure that designs, BOQ’s and feasibility over Sanitation and Shelter structures are sound from a qualitative and quantitative point of view (follows SPHERE standards) and ensure that structures are culturally appropriated and accepted.
- Together with the Water, Sanitation and Shelter Engineering Team Leader ensure that before any construction activity is approached that land owners have approved constructions.
- Together with the Hygiene Promotion Team Leader ensure that hygiene promotion activities are followed and adapted to the local context, specifically in the area of latrine maintenance committees and cleaning campaigns.
- Together with the Hygiene Promotion Team Leader ensure that a market based approach is used to target CRS beneficiaries with hygiene items and other NFI’s related to HH use such as kitchen utensils.
- Together with Team Leaders lead on planning of all WASH and Shelter project activities setting high quality performance targets and ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices, donor guidelines and SHPERE standards
- Ensure with TL’s the selection of project beneficiaries based on approved criteria and strategies, ensuring beneficiaries are consulted and their views taken into account at all stages of the program.
- Ensure that TL’s oversee contractors and direct implementations and those continuous assessments are being planned of older sites as well in new sites.
- Ensure that a tight coordination with Nutrition staff.
- Ensure that the project engages both hosts as well as IDP’s.
- Contribute to preparing plans, proposals, and budgets for project extensions and new projects.
- Ensure protection issues are fully considered throughout the project cycle with women, elderly, disabled and most vulnerable being included in decision making for all WASH and Shelter issues.
- Ensures that use of appropriate project management tools to plan, review and track progress on projects implementation as well as on the utilization of project resources.
- Ensure the development and implement strong M&E systems using appropriate CRS tools and resources to maximize project impact on beneficiaries.
- Monitor project development and identify deviation from approved project plans and implement corrective measures when necessary to ensure that the partners meet the project objectives.
- Oversee management and maintenance of up to date documentation related to all projects approvals, monitoring and implementation in both hard and soft copies.
Partnership and Capacity Building:
- Establish and maintain excellent collaborative working relationships with local partners.
- Manage relationships, negotiations and intensive communication efforts with partners in all phases of grant/project implementation, facilitates coordination with partners, including knowledge management, learning and capacity building for partner staff.
- Promote the involvement of partners at all stages of the project cycle.
- Identify both Program Quality and Management Quality capacity building needs and organize relevant support with TL’s, Emergency Coordinator and relevant CP structures.
- Coordinate any support from the Country Office for ensuring strong communication with and support to partners.
- Ensure timely and quality preparation of donor project narrative reports, quarterly performance indicator tracking tables, baseline and final evaluation reports, as well as other reports needed/required by the local government, donors, the region or headquarters as per reporting schedule.
- Advise senior management about issues affecting project implementation, or key local issues affecting future grants/projects developments.
Representation, Coordination, and Communication:
- Represent CRS at WASH Cluster and CCCM/Shelter Cluster as per request of WASH & Shelter PM.
- Supervise and mentor Team Leaders and other project staff working on specific-based activities/sectors.
- Ensure timely and quality adherence to CRS Performance Management System for all staff under his/her supervision.
- Preparation of employee job descriptions, performance plans and performance appraisals for project staff.
- Ensure that CRS grant/project staff have the equipment and logistical support needed to carry out their roles/responsibilities.
- Develop and ensure implementation of training plans for the team.
- Water, Sanitation and Shelter Team Leader & Hygiene Promotion Team Leader.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results:
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
CRS Emergency Competencies:
- Each CRS staff member working in emergencies is expected to have the following competencies to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results:
- Communicates strategically under pressure
- Manages stress and complexity
- Actively promotes safety and security
- Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficient in the use of MS Windows and MS Office programs.
- Ability to work independently and creatively.
- Enthusiasm in working as a member of a team and willingness to learn.
- Ability to embrace the challenge of working under pressure
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Master's Degree in Engineering, Hydrogeology or Construction
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with INGOs in the field of WASH and with implementation of water supply, sanitation, construction or infrastructure projects.
- Experience in Shelter is an added value
- Strong experience managing Hygiene Promotion Teams
- Proven strong ability to provide technical assistance and expert advice to staff and partners in infrastructure and related fields.
- Strong skills in assessing and developing partner capacity including institutional strengthening, mentoring and coaching.
- Experience in project management, planning, supervision, quality assurance and reporting.
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community members
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language:
- English Fluency, Writing and Speaking
- Travel Required. Over 60% travel around CRS sites.
- Work Environment: Normal office environment, frequent vehicle travel to project sites.
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Catholic Relief Services career website on www5.apply2jobs.com to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.