Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of professionals that is part of the international confederation of 17 organizations networked together in 94 countries. As part of a global movement for change, we are working together to end world poverty and injustice.
This is an opportunity to serve as an advisor to the Country Director on safety and security related issues. The Security Coordinator carries out a range of responsibilities related to the safety and security of all staff, eligible dependents, eligible partners and contractors, resources, assets, facilities, programmes, and projects and ensures compliance with all Oxfam security policies, procedures and regulations.
Salary: Competitive package
Contract Type: Fixed term 3 months with possibility of extension
Hours: Full time
Location: International/Nigeria/Maiduguri with frequent travel
The position is based on the need to build and sustain long-term safety and security risk reduction capacity within the Oxfam’s programmes in NE Nigeria.
- Reports, analyses and communicates current socio-political context and the security situation and the wider context (country, region, global trends as applicable)
- Develops and maintains up-to-date context analysis and risk assessment
- Security management and support
- Design/update reliable safety and Security Management System/Standard Operating Plans/Contingency Plans
- Supports the program staff in planning and implementing risk mitigation strategies (acceptance, deterrence, protection) in order to improve safety and security
Ensures that staff members have the security skills and awareness that are required for effectiveness especially in areas of accident prevention, safety, health and occupational hazards by planning and facilitate appropriate learning and development opportunities.
Assists and leads security and emergency related training in the field
Builds and maintains close contacts with all relevant stakeholders to gather reliable security information, facilitate the sharing of best practices and the adoption of an integrated approach where possible
Collaborates with Field Office and Field Operations teams to determine and address security issues in the field as they arise
We are looking for...
- University degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science or related discipline
- At least 5 years’ INGO/UN safety and risks management experience and proven leadership experience of security assessment, planning and implementation of procedures in the context of UN or NGO humanitarian operations.
- Familiarity with operational and security practices for high threat environments.
- Experience in liaising with communities, civilians, police and/or military government authorities as well as with regional institutions preferred.
- Experience in humanitarian operations, preferably within the field of information management as related to security management and operational planning
- Proven experience of delivering field based trainings.
- Proven practical experience of security management in a complex, conflict, humanitarian context.
- Proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences including in complex and stressful circumstances.
- Ability to advise and support field staff in a consultative manner.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with ability to work in a systematic and organized manner with good attention to accuracy and details.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- A sound understanding of the importance of gender.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work with a diverse set of staff at different levels within the organisation
- Strong report writing, analytical skills with good usage of computers and office software packages (Ms. Word, Excel, etc.)
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
Method of Application
Applications must be submitted through the Oxfam website. For further information about the role and to apply please Click the Application Website button
All applications must be submitted in English and include an English CV.
This is an urgent recruitment for a high priority humanitarian response. For this reason, applications will be reviewed as they are received, and priority will be given to those who are available to travel to Niger immediately. Please indicate your availability in your application. Interviews and offers may take place before the closing date.
Interested and qualified? Go to Oxfam career website on jobs.oxfam.org.uk to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.