The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Number: 499287
Location: Borno Maiduguri Nigeria
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Purpose of the Position
- The overall objective of the post is to manage the child protection in emergencies response in North East Nigeria and to lead the scale up of UNICEF's response to the acute and complex child protection needs in the newly accessible areas in Borno State.
- Output 36: By 2017, the capacity of key institutions and civil society is strengthened to monitor and report violence against children especially in humanitarian context and implement gender and age-appropriate prevention and response measures in at least three states.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the Child Protection Section's Emergencies Programme and rapidly growing team in Borno and Yobe States
- Scale up and strengthen UNICEF's response for children affected by the armed conflict in the North East of Nigeria with a focus on child protection case management, unaccompanied and separated children, children associated with armed groups, survivors of conflict related sexual violence, psychosocial support and mines risk education
- Supervise the expansion of the child protection programme in the newly accessible areas and put in place contingency measures for rapid expansion as additional areas become accessible
- Oversee and expand partnerships with state and non state bodies
- Mobilise and manage resources for the North East, ensuring timely implementation of donor funded programmes, donor reporting and adherence to visibility requirements
- Represent UNICEF on inter-agency coordination mechanisms
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced degree in Social Work, Social Science, Development or related field
- First university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in child protection programming and/or programming in emergencies
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in child protection programming in emergencies
- Experience of programming for unaccompanied and separated children and children associated with armed groups is desirable
- Experience of managing teams
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to work independently under difficult conditions
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (II)
- Leading and supervising (I)
- Formulating strategies/concepts (II)
- Analyzing (III)
- Relating and networking (II)
- Deciding and initiating action (II)
- Applying Technical Expertise (III)
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
- Please note that Maiduguri is a non-family duty stationn
- This position is based in Borno, Nigeria, with travel to Abuja, Yobe and Adamawa
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNICEF career website on www.unicef.org to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.