CANADEM is seeking seasoned professionals - Canadian citizens and/or Canadian permanent residents - with previous relevant experience in humanitarian affairs and gender issues who are available for an immediate deployment to Nigeria as a seconded expert with OCHA for a 3 months contract. Below please find additional information.
Violent attacks on civilians by Boko Haram since 2009 have left widespread devastation in the North-East of Nigeria. With attacks continuing to occur on a regular basis the crisis is directly affecting more than 14.8 million people in Adamawa, Bomo, Gombe and Yobe States. More than 2 million people have fled their homes and 7 million people are estimated to be in need of humanitarian assistance.
Job ID: #1705566
OCHA is seeking a seasoned professional to fill the Humanitarian Affairs Officer/Gender position to execute the following duties:
- Building on the work done by the previous Gender Advisor's deployment, guide the Home Country Office to promote a stronger leadership on gender, promoting will and ownership of Gender Equality Programming at the highest level and ensuring accountability at all levels, including in humanitarian preparedness and response.
- Establish a network/working group of Gender Focal Points, composed of sector leads, INGOs and UN Agencies in the North-East, to reinforce gender-mainstreaming efforts across sectors
- Act as the OCHA Nigeria Gender focal point and support implementation of all commitments on Gender and PSEA issues as outlined in the 2016 work plan.
- Ensure that all documents/advocacy/information products of sector and inter-sector coordination mechanisms in the North-East integrate gender -and age dimensions and. that gender Considerations are embedded into all needs assessments;
- Reinforce capacity of Gender Focal Points through technical workshops on gender, IASG gender marker* GBV and PSEA policy, monitoring and reporting;
- Provide strategic support to sectors and inter-sector' coordination mechanisms in the North-East, to enlbed gender equality programming iii strategic planning and response.
- Implement the Minimum Operating Standards (MOS) on PSEA, including the development of guidelines and operational tools to integrate gender, GBV, PSEA actions for integration of gender in programme .implementation, monitoring and evaluation frameworks by ensuring:
- Ensure that sectors have an access and participation plan to ensure accountability to all affected population that includes "women and men of different ages.
- Support the establishment of suitable gender, PSEA and community complaints mechanisms.
Specific required skills:
- Extensive experience in gender/PSEA/SGBV, humanitarian affairs, coordination of emergency relief, human fights or other related area.
- Fluency in,English.
- Excellent writing, analytical and communications skills
- Experience in humanitarian inter-agency coordination and access issues,
- Experience in working with multiple organizations,
- Ease in facilitating and managing inter-agency and multi-lateral efforts and fora. 8 High level competency in advocacy and building capacity, training and negotiation;
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work,
- Field experience related to protection of civilians in contexts of armed conflict and/or natural disasters is desirable.
Method of Application
If you see yourself in and have all of the above-mentioned skills, please register with CANADEM before contacting us. This can be done on our website at www.canadem.ca/register . Then send an email by no later than 26th of September, 11:59 pm EDT to firstname.lastname@example.org with a Subject Line: "OCHA-HAO/Gender-Nigeria." In your email, please include an updated copy of resume, date of availability, your current location, and a phone number where we can reach you. Please also forward blank referee questionnaire that can be found at www.canadem.ca/rqf to two of your references (recent supervisors preferred). Full instructions on how to complete the forms are included in the document; also please send us any evaluation report that you may have about your field work. We will be considering applications as they are received.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.