The Danish Refugee Council / Danish Demining Group (DRC/DDG) has been operational in West Africa since 1998. Our aim is to contribute to the peace and stabilization, protection and promotion of durable solutions to crisis affected populations in the region. The overall strategic objective of the programme is to support peace and stabilization, protect and promote durable solutions to conflict affected populations in Nigeria, Liberia, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinée, and Mali on the basis of humanitarian principles and fundamental human rights.
DRC/DDG has a representational office in Abuja and a larger coordination and field based implementation office in Yola, Adamawa State. During beginning of 2016, DRC/DDG expects to expand by building a strong emergency response capacity and by developing resilience projects for durable solution for the people affected by the crisis.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria with frequent field visit to Mubi, Yola and Damaturu
About the Job
- The Livelihoods Manager will be responsible for designing, coordination, implementation, monitoring and follow up of DRC Nigeria’s livelihoods activities (focusing initially on emergency food security, cash transfer and voucher activities/projects).
- The Livelihood Manager will manage a team of local livelihood staff.
- The overall strategic objective of the livelihoods programme is to develop durable solutions for conflict-affected populations in the North East of Nigeria (IDPs and host communities).
- He/she will furthermore play a significant role in sectoral coordination with other stakeholders including local and state authorities, food security cluster, other INGOs and other partners involved in the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Take a leading role in the implementation of DRCs emergency food security projects in close co-ordination with the Global Emergency Coordinator
- Prepare and develop distribution and movement plans for teams and work with Finance and Admin Manager to forecast cash requirements
- Based on initial assessments including a market assessment conducted by DRC Nigeria end of 2015 the Livelihoods Manager will design interventions, strategies and plans for the implementation of Livelihoods and cash transfer programmes;
- Conduct assessment and analysis of needs; existing and potential financial institutions or traditional mechanisms for cash transfer programme and identify innovative/alternative payment modalities in consideration with the security situation in target locations;
- Contextualize cash transfer guidelines prepared by the organization on distribution processes and make necessary recommendation where appropriate;
- Assist in developing new food security and cash transfer programme initiatives and fundraising relating emergency response;
- Conduct further assessments and assist in preparation of proposals, develop national and local strategies in co-operation with the Country Director
- Draft concept papers and assist in the preparation of creative, realistic and effective project proposals
- Direct management of the livelihood projects and line manager for team members. This includes coaching, ensuring co-ordination between staff, in a number of locations , recruiting, and staff capacity building;
- Undertake regular field/onsite visits to ensure technical support to livelihood and cash staff and proper monitoring of the activities’ implementation in area of operation;
- Provide regular updates on progress to supervisors and other team members and senior management
- Ensure donor and agency compliance is met at all levels of project/program management cycle
- Develop project progress reports according to agreed work plan. This includes contribution of livelihood sector in preparing donor report on time
- Ensure lessons learned are documented, shared and reflected in program planning and decision making
Representation and Relations:
- Cultivate good relations with key humanitarian actors - local and international, including government authorities and non-state actors, through regular attendance at technical meetings and bilateral meetings;
- Ensure that at all times contact with beneficiaries is conducted in a sensitive and respectful manner;
- Where relevant, liaise with donors and work closely with partners on project updates, site visits and other communication.
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Country Director
- Ensure that the DRC foods security and cash transfer projects are implemented in accordance with DRC standard regulations and procedures (e.g. Code of Conduct, CHS and DRC Operational Handbook);
- Make sure that each member of the livelihood team is aware of security issues, policies, SOPs and they follow them accordingly
- In consultation and collaboration with Security Advisor, ensure that all security incidents are reported within given time line and standard
- Ensure that all team members of livelihoods sector are aware of RDC code of conduct, humanitarian principles and code of conduct of Red Cross/Crescent and NGOs working in humanitarian field
- Ensure coordination with Head of Finance & Admin, Security Advisor and Logistic & Procurement Manager to ensure security risks are minimized at lowest level.
- The Livelihoods Manager will report to the Head of Programmes, Nigeria.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Minimum 5 years of international experience with humanitarian organizations
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of working in conflict context
- University education in Agriculture/Livelihoods and or equivalent to related field
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in humanitarian cash/voucher and food security projects
- Working experience with IDPs/Returnees/Refugees/Host communities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Experience with managing diverse team in terms of sex, race, faith, age, etc.
- Gender sensitive
- Experience in working and living in shared accommodation
- Flexible and adaptable
- Willing to travel within and between States in Nigeria
- DRC will offer the successful applicant a 12 months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from 25 October 2016 and be willing and able to work in Maiduguri, Nigeria .
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to: www.drc.dk under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level A14
Method of Application
- All applicants must send a Cover letter and an updated CV's (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
- If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Due to the need for rapid deployment interviews are expected to take place throughout the recruitment period. DRC reserves the right to offer the position to a suitable candidate even before the closing date.
Interested and qualified? Go to Danish Refugee Council (DRC) career website on candidate.hr-manager.net to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale