The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Number: 499270
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Work Type: Temporary Appointment- 364 days
- Under the close supervision of the Chief of Field Office and technical oversight of ICT Manager, the Senior ICT Assistant is accountable for the delivery of effective and efficient technical and operational assistance to the supervisor in the administration, maintenance, documentation, and monitoring all UNICEF's networks and network components.
- Ensures that effective and efficient network operation and services, including software, hardware and operational support to ensure minimal down time and maximum productivity.
- Identifies risks and emerging faults in order to enhance network capacity, security, redundancy and fault tolerance.
Key Accountabilities and Duities & Task
- Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primary, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
High standards of network operations and services are maintained through continuous infrastructure improvement, performance monitoring and policy compliance:
- Maintains UNICEF's Local and Global Network Infrastructure: ranging from hardware installation of network components (including routers, switches, firewalls, bridges, hubs and modems, etc.) to software upgrades and network management tools.
- Determines causes of computer/software/network malfunctions through testing and evaluation, and resolves by additions, modifications, repair, or external support assistance.
- Advises appropriate staff members of possible causes of the problem, risks and precautions necessary to avoid additional issues.
- Monitors and ensures application/compliances of IT policies and guidelines, established processes and procedures by all team members.
- Monitors/analyzes staff performance, examines faulty areas in the IT infrastructure, resolves issues, and defines training needs, for improvement in the network operations and services.
Timely and effective support for network changes, enhancements, optimization is provided:
- Prepares system for installation and attachment to LAN/WAN. Installs and tests network infrastructure equipment including switches, routers, and associated cabling.
- Plans network changes and growth based on network security, utilization data, performance data, and the user input.
- Monitors and analyzes network statistics, vendor reports and other sources of information for network optimization, utilizing existing Enterprise Management tool sets and the specific utilities.
Network availability, services and security are enhanced and maintained:
- Conducts routine monitoring of the WAN to ensure its continued network services, installs routine updates to the software, performs normal corrections when necessary and alerts the supervisor if special actions must be planned or if threats to the network might exist.
- Enhances network availability and service levels by establishing routine maintenance procedures, heightening security and access rights.
- Coordinates all changes closely with ICT manager in Abuja.
Timely and effective network audit and redundancy plans are provided for performance optimization and network protection:
- Performs audit of core and critical network components and develops a new baseline benchmark. Optimizes network performance according to benchmark.
- Implements and maintains network redundancy plans.
Updated network descriptions, processes and procedures are well documented to maintain internal knowledge continuity and competency:
- Documents/reports network processes, procedures, software, tools and issues. Classifies and maintains the network documentation.
- Provides support in the staff training, development and distribution of instructions and other related materials.
- Develops training plans for the team members to ensure appropriate level of knowledge on the network infrastructure issues.
- Conducts the training/induction process for new staff on internal processes/procedures, network management tools and the IT Operation/Services environment.
- Compiles Frequently Ask Questions and maintains knowledge databases for eventual distribution available to users.
- Prepares and maintains a physical layout of network, including diagrams and network descriptions.
Assignments of additional duties and responsibilities are effectively performed:
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Computer Science, Business Administration or computer related certification (e.g., A+ Computer literacy and ability to effectively use standard office software, tools and technologies.
- Certification, ITIL Foundation Certification or equivalent customer support certification).
- Completion of Secondary education supplemented with formal training (at university level)
Systematic methods of troubleshooting and analytical problem solving, providing assistance to experience with various computer platforms and applications: operating systems, email andPC/laptop/printer installation, configuration, troubleshooting and repairs. Work experience in:
- Providing ICT support to remote field offices in developing countries an asset.
- Database systems, Microsoft Office product suites, Help Desk software, advanced
- Users on ICT products and services, and use of applications and diagnostic tools. Practical
- Seven years practical professional work experience in information technology, as well as
Core Competencies (Required):
Core Values (Required):
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another UN language an asset.
- Communication [II]
- Working with People [II]
- Drive for Results [II]
Functional Competencies (Required):
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Planning and Organizing [II]
- Following instructions and Procedures [II]
- Analyzing [II]
Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group):
- Practical knowledge of computer programming, software information management, data processing applications, database development, network administration, data communications, telecommunications, hardware and software installation, service management, end-user assistance, preparation of end-user documentation and manuals.
- Knowledge of Help Desk tools and processes
Specific Technical Knowledge Required (for the job):
(Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job can be added here as required)
- Practical knowledge of Service Delivery processes (e.g., Incident Management, Problem Management, Configuration Management, Change Management, Release Management).
- Practical knowledge of Service Support (e.g., Service Level Management, Availability Management, Capacity Management, Financial Management, ICT Service Continuity Management, Security Management)
- Knowledge of ITIL standards of services support
- Knowledge of server operating systems, active directory services, network operating systems platforms
- Systems roll outs and implementation in large scale ICT environment
- Software development methodologies
- Practices and principles of systems support
- Practices and principles of ICT analysis, planning, design, implementation and problem resolution
- Trends in information technologies and services management
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNICEF career website on www.unicef.org to apply