Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours. Please give monthly and support our mission.
Save the Children is working to strengthen health systems and support maternal and child health in four northern states. Much work needs to be done for Nigeria to deliver its promises on Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 (which aim to reduce child mortality and improve maternal health) before 2015.
Job ID: #1697656
This position will be responsible for providing technical support and guidance in the implementation of the economic strengthening component of the STEER OVC project. The job will primarily focus on; support CSOs on market assessment which will include gender iterative economic opportunity analyses, identification of pro-poor, high-growth value chains, building financial literacy skills of households, incorporating basic market principles, facilitate skills trainings, manage group savings programs, household economic assessments, support to households to develop and scale-up businesses on community-based savings and loan schemes, (S&L) for caregivers and heads of households.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Ensure the day-to-day implementation of the work plan activities in the State and provide input into the development, on-going management and maintenance of work plan.
- Coordinate identification of viable HHES models, gather information on what models of HHES are available in the target communities, both formal and informal
- Based on the above, contribute to the design of flexible and adaptable economic strengthening models based on best practices and relevance to the Nigeria context, which can be feasibly rolled out in target communities.
- Support to train and guide CSOs or partners as they roll out HHES strategies in target communities, working with teams to plan and implement the roll-out strategies.
- Provide support and mentoring to CSO staff and partners in implementing the HHES services in the communities, through field visits, refresher trainings, on the job training etc. Help CSOs ensure that services are relevant and useful to the beneficiaries and well integrated with other services provide by and through the STEER project.
- Help the project CSOs or partners ensure that economic strengthening services provided by STEER project are in line and complementary with, other economic strengthening services provided by other agencies at the state and community levels.
- Coordinate periodic monitoring/reviews of the HHSE services, identify successes, and using lessons learned to make contribution to the overall HHES strategies of the project.
- Ensure that HHES components and related services are integrated into project reviews and evaluation activities.
- Support State level planning of activities as agreed in the STEER work plan.
- Under the Supervision of HES Advisor, manage the preparation, coordination, and execution for special technical events.
- Participate in meetings, seminars, debriefings and other technical meetings as required.
- Compile States level reports on project results, case studies and lessons learned.
- Develop State level annual, quarterly and monthly work plans as agreed with the line manager.
- Facilitate, draft, and participate in the development of, and/or the timely completion/review of STEER technical reports, such as: monthly, quarterly, and/or annual reports; strategic plans and work plans; and other ad hoc reports, as required.
- Participate in the design and implementation of assessments and evaluation studies, trainings, and workshops.
- Support the work of consultants in the States as needs arise.
- Document technical team meetings, partner meetings, conferences, and workshops, so that notes are around to team members not in attendance and to STEER/HQ.
- Provide support on technical initiatives, including performing literature searches, investigating key issues, and contributing to technical activities as required.
- Maintain good relationship with Government and non-Government partners working on Nutrition in the States.
- Perform other duties and tasks as determined by the STEER COP, including assisting HES Advisor.
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s child protection policies; comply strictly to security procedures and other staff policies.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- A degree in the field of Finance, Agriculture, Economics, or Development
- 5-7 years working experience in HES interventions with at least 3 of which should be in non – profit sector.
- Experience in Financial Exclusions and Management of Savings’ Groups
- 3 years HES experience with international NGO a plus
- Interest in development issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully in team environment
- Fluency in English
- Experience working across multiple sub agreements and partners; ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a dynamic multi-disciplinary project.
- A degree or equivalent work experience in the field of Finance, Agriculture, Economics, or Development
- Strong computer skills required, especially the ability to work comfortably in the MS office package
- Ability to work independently and manage various projects in a team setting with limited supervision
- Residence within the location
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to career website on nigeria.savethechildren.net to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.