The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa's first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent's critical social and economic problems.
We are seeking for suitably qualified candidate to fill the position below. This position is local position and open to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria:
Department: School of Business & Entrepreneurship
Summary of Position
- The position follows established schedules in cooking, baking, sanitation, and related activities to ensure safety and sanitation.
- The position is expected to take inventory of supplies on hand and orders food supplies, ingredients, and other consumables on a scheduled basis as determined by menu and estimated number of diners for effective food management.
- The position is also in charge of preparing palatable meals according to specified menu and schedule with minimum waste and shall also shop for necessary food supplies.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Maintain sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas.
- Clean and sanitize all food preparation equipment and ensures that it is kept in safe and operable condition.
- Ensure utensils and vegetables have to be properly washed so that food borne diseases are avoided.
- Ensure proper cooking methods are also important for ensuring that proteins and vitamins are not lost due to over cooking.
- Inquires for food allergy to prevent food poisoning.
- Use standard food preparation utensils such as knives, spoons, tongs and whips.
- Operate power driven equipment such as a meat slicer, blender, and juice maker.
- Provides input and suggestions tomenus for special functions and revisions to daily lunch and dinner menu.
- Work with the President’s house members to create menus for functions when requested.
- Prepare some food items ahead of time when necessary to maximize the use of time.
- Prepare specialty foods such as pizzas, fish and chips, sandwiches, following specific methods that usually require short preparation time.
- Prepare dough, following recipe.
- Performs physical inventories and keep records.
- Verify that prepared food meets requirements for quality and quantity.
- Perform other duties assigned by supervisor.
- Must be able to communicate in English.
- Minimum of Secondary School Certificate.
- Previous experience in a customer service role.
- Exposure to general maintenance and security practices.
- Must be flexible in work schedule including weekends, nights and holidays.
- Service Orientation - actively looking for ways to help people.
- Neat appearance.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Knowledge of proper cleaning techniques, requirements and use of equipment.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with attention to detail, speed, accuracy, follow-through, courtesy, cooperativeness and work independently.
- Proficient knowledge and skills in the provision of adequate security measures within stewards areas of concern (i.e. taking proper custody of items in the guest houses).
- Endure various physical movements throughout the work areas.
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to: email@example.com before the closing date of this publication. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.