The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are now looking for suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Reports to: WASH Officer
Tasks and Responsibilities
- To assist WASH TECHNICAL officer in coordination of the WASH TECHNICAL activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- To assist the WASH TECHNICAL officer in all aspects of WASH Technical programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- To assist in the identification of community water and sanitation needs
- To develop technical specifications and bills of quantities (BOQ) for works
- To assess the water and sanitation training needs of the community and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conducts water quality testing and sanitary inspection at water points
- Provides technical assistance to the WASH TECHNICAL officer and local counterparts on issues of water and sanitation information and communication strategies
- Assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly WASH Technical reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities
- Assist WASH TECHNICAL officer in Breaking down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- To assist in ensuring that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures
- Performs any other duties as requested by the WASH TECHNICAL officer
- Monitoring NFI distribution within the communities
- Assist in site planning activities for Water and sanitation activities implementation
- Supervise and contribute to the success of WASH TECHNICAL activities implementation
- Performs any other duties as requested by WASH TECHNICAL officer
- B.Sc or Higher diploma in civil, Water Resources engineering or Geology
- Minimum 2 years’ experience from working with WASH TECHNICAL projects in a humanitarian/recovery context. Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous 2-3 years’ work experience in community based water, Sanitation programs; Work experience with an NGO is desirable
- Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements and protocols
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of Hygiene, Sanitation and shelter service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Must have previous experience in training and Training of Trainers.
- Excellent communication skills - written and spoken - in English required.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
- Must be willing to work as a team member, take direction, and share technical skills with colleagues and counterparts
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required,
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ArcGIS and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Commencement: ASAP
- Contract period: 12month
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
Method of Application
Applicants should submit their application letter and updated CV's to: email@example.com
The title of the position (WASH Technical Assistant- Maiduguri) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.