IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
Ref No: IITA-HR-NRS2016-029
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist IITA CRP-Maize Focal Person in the preparation of CRP documents including annual work plans and other project documents.
- Assist in following up with scientists on timely preparation of annual reports and submission to the lead center.
- Track and monitor CRP budget expenditures against approved budgets of IITA scientists in order to provide the CRP leader with a clear status of financial resources
- Communicate with the CRP-Maize Manager of the lead center (CIMMYT, Mexico) and assist the CRP-Maize focal person with CRP related management functions including the preparation of key performance indicators.
- Assume responsibility for other CRP functions such as hosting of visitors, responding to inquiries, planning meetings, drafting letters, scheduling appointments and coordinating travel arrangement
- Maintain coherent repository of Crop Information (genealogy, phenotype and genotype) allowing public access and secondary use for predictive breeding and comparative biology.
- Work with Data Manager/Analyst, E-Research and the Integrated Breeding Platform (IBP) on the development of a data management system for storing and retrieval of information and linking it with GIS for the maize breeding unit.
- Define and implement data standards and best practices for Research Data Management by developing ontologies, phenotyping protocols, quality standards, Trait dictionaries, templates and field books.
- Assist members of the Maize breeding program to capture data electronically and use the BMS to manage the day to day activities of their breeding programs.
- Perform any additional duties related to CRP and Data management assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- MSc in Computer Science, Project Management with some background in agriculture.
- Minimum of Seven (7) years of relevant work experience in Project Data Management, good administrative skills in general project execution.
Ideal Candidate must possess:
- Good project management software usage knowledge
- Good project monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Excellent Written and oral communication skill.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their Applications include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.
Interested and qualified? Go to IITA - International Institute of Tropical Agriculture career website on jobs.iita.org to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.