Who We Are
Bridge International Academies is the world’s largest and fastest-growing chain of primary and pre-primary schools with more than 400 academies and 120,000 pupils in Kenya and Uganda. We democratize the right to succeed by giving families living in poverty access to the high-quality education that will allow their children to live a very different life. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to standardize and scale every aspect of quality education delivery, from how and where academies are built to how teachers are selected and trained, and how lessons are delivered and monitored for improvement. We are vertically-integrated, tech-enabled, and on our way to profitability. Bridge expects to continue rapid expansion in East Africa, and will be launching operations in Nigeria in September 2015, with India to follow in 2016.
How We Work
Above all else, we’re looking for ambition, organization, drive, intellect, problem solving, and respect for others. You will report to the Supply Chain Director.
About the Role
As our Procurement Manager, you are responsible for leading the team that sources and obtains strong pricing across the various areas that we need items for – chiefly our academies, as well as for HQ functions. You uphold the highest standard of conduct, and you expect the same from your team.
This is a key position within the company’s Supply Chain team with important linkages to many other department.
What you Will Do
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, tools and guidelines to ensure effective and efficient procurement processes in the company and to assure seamless procurement services
- Seek, evaluate and recommend reliable vendors or suppliers to provide quality goods or services at reasonable prices
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with suppliers, contractors and other partners within the procurement services chain to create partnerships that add value
- Negotiate prices, lead times and other contractual terms with suppliers in Nigeria and other parts of the world as may be required
- Review and embed with user departments the technical specifications for all materials required for school operations, equipment or construction requirements
- Closely oversee the acquisition of materials needed for production of learning and training requirements, general supplies for offices and facilities, equipment, and construction contracts while ensuring visibility of the process at each stage.
- Work with department managers and other staff to forecast demand of procurement services and to ascertain that goods are received as ordered and payments processed only for certified confirmations of deliveries or service.
- Budget, report and analyse procurement costs to ensure high visibility and control of procurement related expenses.
What You Should Have
- Degree/professional qualifications in purchasing and supplies management
- Expert level of knowledge in procurement including, but not limited to sourcing, pricing, contracts, relationship management and due diligence on suppliers and contractors
- Ability to quickly learn and improve systems; technical competence in MS Office
- Experience working with an ERP (Experience working with Dynamics NAV will be an added advantage)
go to method of application »
We are looking for an absolute rockstar to join our leadership team in Nigeria and ensure our success by delivering an exceptional Supply Chain organisation. It is an extraordinary, but highly challenging role. We operate 405 active academies in East Africa and are currently expanding our operations to Nigeria. Supply Chain is responsible for inventory management, procurement, logistics, and warehousing to service the activities of each and every academy.
Our academies operate on low cost school fees model – there is no room for excess, and Supply Chain is at the forefront of building an incredibly lean organisation. You will lead the charge to ensure we are getting the best pricing, that our goods are transported efficiently and cleanly, and that our warehousing activities are highly organised and architected for growth and rapid change.
You will be building a world-class Supply Chain platform – and that requires you to be a hands-on leader who effectively manages a large, multi-functional team and proactively dives into the nitty gritty to improve processes and systems. You will need to be tough but fair to ensure that we build a zero-tolerance environment for any fraud and leakage. You will train, develop, and mentor your team, and provide clear, constructive feedback where necessary.
You must be a team player – Supply Chain is deeply integrated with our Development and Operations groups, and you will interact with other teams frequently. You are singularly focused on building a better Bridge, regardless your title or department designation.
Who Should Apply
- Creative problem-solvers – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just Ksh. 500 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordable with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than 400 Naira a day, will have to pay for.
- Customer advocates – Our customers never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- Life-long learners – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- Hands-on doers – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a top university; MS/MBA a plus
- Strong background in Supply Chain management; deep knowledge of procurement, warehousing, logistics best practices
- Significant and meaningful leadership experience leading Supply Chain teams in fast-growth, multi-unit environments
- Big plus for experience working with construction/repairs
- High integrity with zero tolerance for any unethical business practices
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.